Under the supervision of the MSDA Deputy Chief of Party, the Senior Journalism Advisor designs, implements, and controls quality of training sessions (offline sessions, online sessions, in-house and distance mentoring) and media content production frameworks (Internews production, grants, stipends) organized through the MSDA (Media Sector Development Activity) and associated projects, and advises and controls quality of interventions conducted by partner organizations. They will also oversee the training of technicians and technical assistance to MSDA partner media outlets in collaboration with the MSDA Senior Technician.
This role will be based in our Gombe, DRC office.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
This is a limited duration position, with an expected end date of May 31, 2024.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Design and control quality of curricula of training sessions for journalists, technicians, and editors of Media Sector Development Activity (MSDA) partner media outlets (community radio and online media outlets);
- Advise and control quality of curricula of training sessions for journalists and editors of MSDA partner media outlets, organized by MSDA partner organizations;
- Support and/or control quality of handbooks used to support training sessions;
- Conduct training sessions if necessary;
- Manage logistics of MSDA training sessions;
- Organize the planning of distance mentoring sessions;
- Manage the team of MSDA trainers (consultants), 3 technicians, and other experts if needed;
- Manage narrative reporting on training sessions and cycles organized by MSDA and MSDA partner organizations and related databases (in collaboration with the M&E team);
- Oversee and control quality of Internews public interest content production (radio, online), notably editors, journalists, translators, and technicians;
- Control quality of content produced by MSDA partner organizations;
- Manage narrative reporting on MSDA content production (Internews production, subgrants, service contracts, stipends), notably broadcasting and dissemination (online content) and related databases (in collaboration with the M&E team);
- Support development and reporting of relations between MSDA partner media outlets and local civil society, including monitoring by partner Commissions Diocesaines Justice et Paix, and share findings with MSDA advocacy and election experts;
- Participate in media sector assessments conducted by MSDA;
- Develop collaboration with other MSDA departments;
- Other tasks as requested by supervisors; and
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Extensive experience (more than 15 years) in building editorial capacities of journalists and editors
- Extensive experience (more than 10 years) in media development or project management
- Extensive experience in media development in Africa, notably with community radio
- Solid team management experience
- Proficiency in French, English will be considered a strong advantage for candidates
Note: This position is posted in a High or Extreme Physical Risk location. Conditions at post may include, but are not limited to, the following: compound living quarters, limited mobility outside of designated areas, limited in-country medical care or pharmacy, limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, limited access to high speed internet, dress code requirements, unaccompanied posting, and required advanced safety and security training. If selected for an interview for this position, ensure you discuss the specifics of living and working in this unique operating environment and consider them at length during the recruitment process.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
- Job City Democratic Republic of the Congo