Position Title: Senior Liaison Officer (African Union)
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 27 June 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Special Liaison Office in Addis Ababa (SLO), the successful candidate will provide authoritative advice and support in the execution of the offices’ strategic liaison, policy and programming functions with the African Union (AU).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop, maintain, nurture, and grow IOM’s relationship and portfolio of work with all relevant Departments of the African Union Commission (AUC) with a view to ensuring that migration issues are appropriately reflected in all relevant policies and programmes of the AU.
- Manage, supervise, and coordinate the overall liaison activities with the AUC, provide advice and guidance to the Special Liaison Unit Team working on the AUC portfolio, leading strategic planning, project development and management and systematic coordination with relevant IOM Offices in the context of the IOM-AU Joint Implementation Plan.
- Promote the organization’s expertise and activities in regional and continental development cooperation frameworks, especially with the AUC and its development partners such as the European Union, in the context of the AU-EU Partnership.
- Develop and prepare regular policy and guidance notes for IOM Offices and donors on the continent to ensure that IOM’s work is consistent and supportive of AUC’s direction on migration-related issues.
- Promote and advocate for areas of collaboration with other UN agencies on migration in support of the AUC, provide policy advice, and lead the development of joint continental programs in line with the AU Agenda 2063.
- Assess and endorse IOM’s contributions to existing regional and continent-wide joint programmes on the full range of migration thematic areas, including across the humanitarian-development-peace nexus.
- Lead and advise on IOM’s inputs for the preparation of, and participation in continental policy discussions, debates, and positions with relevant Headquarters (HQs) Departments, Regional Offices, and IOM Country offices in Africa.
- Ensure that senior IOM staff are well-prepared for participation in key AU and AUC meetings and are aware of background information and preparatory discussions leading up to those meetings.
- Provide expert analysis and authoritative advice on the implications for IOM of key AUC documents, discussions, and decisions, including on migration-relevant programmes, particularly those of relevance to IOM development, peacebuilding, and humanitarian operations.
- Prepare papers and other documents on key continental migration policy issues, including as they intersect with other policy domains, and authoritatively contribute to policy and programme formulation by regional and continental bodies.
- Ensure that all AU Unit programming, financial and administrative matters related to the Special Liaison Office are effectively managed, in line with established IOM rules and regulations as well as the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish effective coordination, monitoring, information sharing and reporting systems in the Unit.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Business or Public Administration, International Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Extensive experience in programme formulation, implementation, and evaluation;
- Demonstrated supervisory experience in staff management;
- Proven record of establishing and maintaining good working relationships with governmental and diplomatic authorities, national, regional, and international institutions, as well as civil society actors;
- Previous work experience in a rapid transition or post-conflict area;
- Demonstrated experience in liaising with governmental and authorities, international agencies(i.e., UN), and civil society organizations;
- Experience in project development, implementation, and reporting, including financial and budgetary aspects; and,
- Familiarity with inter-agency programme regulations of the UN and other donors.
- In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration-related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Sound judgment, ability to analyze information and make decisions rapidly to resolve operational problems;
- Efficiency, flexibility, high level of professionalism, and ability to adhere to strict deadlines;
- Strong leadership, management, and coordination ability;
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with IOM’s MiMOSA and PRIMA systems;
- Knowledge of the IOM project management cycle; and,
- Knowledge of IOM’s administrative and financial management.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either any UN and African Union Official Language(s) and/or language(s) identified by the Special Liaison Office is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 June 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 237 Senior Liaison Officer (African Union) (P4) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (58196138) Released
Posting: Posting NC58196139 (58196139) Released
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Area Manager a Danish Refugee Council
- Coordinateur(trice) Programme – Cameroun at INTERSOS
- Coordinateur Terrain (H/F) –Ouahigouya at Solidarités International
- HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS OFFICER / ACCESS, P3 at UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- Coordinateur Grants Partenariat(H/F)–Ouagadougou at Solidarités International