The Alliance of Bioversity International (www.bioversityinternational.org) and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) (www.ciat.cgiar.org) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation.
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people in a climate crisis.
The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
About the position
The Business Operations and Finance department will provide high-quality support to research and other global functions across Finance, Procurement, Facilities Management, Security, and Administration Services. Reporting to the Global Director of Business Operations and Finance and with a second line to the Regional Managing Director. The Senior Manager, BO&F (SMBOF) for the Africa Region, is responsible for effectively overseeing the ongoing development and execution of an integrated approach to all aspects of financial and business operations management in the Region to meet the organization’s needs and ensure a high level of effectiveness and efficiencies. Responsible for coordinating administrative and financial matters between the Region and Global Director, providing operational support to the projects to be implemented in the Region, and securing full operational and financial compliance with local laws, policies, and procedures.
- Lead Finance and Business Operations framework, and its implementation in the Region, providing support and oversight of day-to-day activities in all the offices.
- Oversee the development and delivery of efficient, service-oriented, and cost-effective business operations in procurement, facilities, administrative and security services for the offices located in the Region.
- Implement an effective operation framework of internal financial controls in the Region to mitigate organizational risk and ensure that internal and external audit requirements are satisfied, together with full compliance with local laws.
- Partner and engage with the Regional Managing Director to secure timely program delivery and accurate implementation of guidelines, processes, procedures, and policies mandated by the global finance and operations functional units.
- Secure the required structure in place to provide high-level quality business operations and finance services in all the Region offices, expand capabilities, and promote innovation, collaboration, and knowledge sharing.
- Build strong engagement with Research and Global support functions to seek synergies and processes to deliver high-quality business operations and financial services.
- Advise, provide insights and guide Country Representative and Country Finance and Administration staff in all areas of Business Operation and Finance
- Establish a strong relationship with other external stakeholders, like hosted entities and other Centers, securing the necessary support services for them.
- Set the necessary work plan to secure a joint effort with other units to ensure compliance with national and international laws, specifically in all matters related to local taxes and financial requirements according to our license to operate in different countries.
- Establish quality and service delivery metrics to evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the Business Operations and Finance services provided in the Region, anticipate & propose corrective actions to increase the level of satisfaction from the Research levers/Units.
- Identify improvement opportunities and propose corrective actions, aligned with current guidelines from the Global Finance and Operations functional Units and propose cross-cutting actions with other Regions to collaborate in standardizing services in the organization
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in business administration, finance, economics, accounting, or related fields, with CPA/ACA, preferred.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in the English language, with the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization.
- French language proficiency is an added advantage
- A demonstrated track record of substantial experience leading a Finance and/or Operations, with extensive evidence of overseeing financial management and operations in a range of large, multicultural, and geographically dispersed global organizations.
- Attention to detail and ability to provide complex technical information whilst creating a narrative that allows an understanding by a non-specialist audience.
- A robust understanding of the not-for-profit sector, financial funder requirements, and the political and economic environment, alongside the demonstrated ability to navigate it strategically –experience in a scientific research organization.
- Experience working across countries with a multicultural setting, inside the Region, and with a close relationship with other colleagues based outside the region.
- Proven ability to integrate, inspire and develop multidisciplinary teams and manage talent, with a strong commitment to promoting diversity, knowledge sharing, and staff development.
- Understanding of change management, implementing change, and the knowledge and experience to successfully support people through change.
- Proven ability to coordinate and facilitate the implementation of a transformational strategy through collaboration with others.
- Uphold the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treating all people with respect and personal integrity.
Terms of employment
This is an internationally recruited position based in Nairobi, Kenya. The initial contract will be for two (2) years, subject to a probation period of six (6) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. This position is currently graded at level BG011 (on a scale of 14 levels, BG14 being the highest level) with a view on career development.
The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for gender, diversity, and inclusion in our staff, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic.
How to apply
Applicants are invited to visit https://www.bioversityinternational.org/jobs/ to get full details of the position and to submit their applications. Applications MUST include a reference number.
Ref: Senior Manager, BO&F (SMBOF) as the position applied for. Application and CV should be saved as one document using the candidate’s lastname, firstname for ease of sorting.
Note: The Alliance does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The Alliance also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Applications closing date: 31st January 2023
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about us at:http://alliancebioversityciat.org
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Protection Coordinator at Danish Refugee Council
- Senior Technical Advisor – Education Program Design & Resource Mobilization at CARE USA
- Interpreter Support Assistant – Kenya National Hire at Church World Service
- Finance & Administration Officer at ZOA
- Accountant for Tanzania Maji na Usafi wa Mazingira Activity at Tetra Tech