Post: Senior Medical Officer
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of clinical, occupational safety and health and tropical/travel medicine. Ability to manage a diverse and multicultural team and to operate efficiently under stressful circumstances. Good drafting ability in English and French. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
ACCOUNTABLITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates; provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
JUDGEMENT/DECISION-MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Doctorate (MD) or equivalent in medicine, including residency/internship in one of the medical specialties, preferably occupational medicine is required. Further certification in internal medicine or general practice is desirable.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible clinical experience in one of the areas of medicine is required.
- At least five years in the Occupational Health field is required.
- Three years of experience in the medical field in Africa and/or the Global South is required.
- Three years in an International Organization with field deployments is desirable.
- Three years of managerial experience in the medical field including budgeting, supervisory responsibilities and resource management are desirable.
Method of Application
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- National Accountability Adviser– Resilient Livelihoods at Volunteer Service Overseas (VSO)
- Sexual Reproductive Health Rights Advisor at Volunteer Service Overseas (VSO)
- HLP Field Assistant at Committed To Good (CTG Global)
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- HR/Admin Officer at Save the Children