Senior Mission Security Officer/Head of Security and Duty of Care Department
Employment Regime: Seconded/Contracted
Post Category for Contracted: Expert Level
Ref. Number: SOM-026
Component/Department/Unit: Security and Duty of Care Department
Security Clearance Level: EU SECRET
Open to Contributing Third States: No
1. Reporting Line:
The Senior Mission Security Officer/Head of Security and Duty of Care Department (SMSO) reports to the Deputy Head of Mission.
2. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To lead, manage and coordinate the staff and work of Mission Security and Duty of Care Department
- In line with the EU Policy of EU staff deployed outside the EU in an operational capacity under Title V of the Treaty on European Union:
- To monitor and assess the security situation and provide security analyses, recommendations and advice to the Head of Mission, Senior Management and Mission members on all security related matters that affect the Mission, its assets, personnel and information;
- To provide advice and implement measures to ensure the security and safety of Mission members;
- To be responsible, in line with EU Field Security Policy and its supporting documents, for the drafting, continued development, implementation and updating of the Mission Security Plan (MSP), including provisions for relocation/evacuation as well as effective warden and movement of personnel systems;
- To contribute and coordinate to the drafting of security policies and procedures;
- To be responsible for the protection of EU classified information (EUCI) within the Mission and to ensure information is handled in accordance with EU rules;
- To produce security inputs to daily Situational Reports, Weekly Operational Summary, Monthly and Six Monthly Reports and ensure real time reporting from potential trouble spots;
- To be responsible for the supervision of journey management planning and provide timely advice and guidance to Mission members;
- To ensure that comprehensive security induction and other necessary trainings are provided to Mission members;
- To ensure that regular security drills, communication tests and evacuation exercises are conducted;
- To ensure that Contracted Guard complies with the agreed Terms of Reference and fulfils the contractual obligations according to the assigned performance standards, including the Code of Conduct;
- To ensure an effective system of security reviews in relation to the Missions’ property and buildings and recommend changes if necessary;
- To develop professional contacts with Security Managers of EU bodies, diplomatic representatives, NATO/KFOR, local police and international organisations.
- To coordinate security reviews of Mission members’ personal protective equipment, transport, Mission members residences and Mission offices as necessary;
- To alternate with the Deputy Senior Mission Security Officer (DSMSO), and be available to deploy 24/7, to provide security direction, follow up action and set priorities to effectively manage foreseen/unforeseen security events or incidents;
- To work in close cooperation with the Mission Support Department on matters related to budget and procurement of security equipment, contracts/services and draft terms of reference;
- To ensure all security and communications equipment is operational and ready to use;
- To ensure the policy on security clearances for Mission members is correctly applied;
- To travel to all Mission areas including high risk areas as required;
- To collaborate with and report to Civilian Planning and Conduct Capability (CPCC) Security / Duty of Care Office on all security related matters and ensure the implementation of their security recommendations;
- To regularly convene with the Mission Security Management Team;
- To implement gender-responsive leadership and ensure gender and human rights mainstreaming internally and externally in mandate implementation;
- To uphold a strict zero tolerance policy to misconduct, including all forms of harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and abuse, and proactively ensure an equal and inclusive work environment for all staff;
- To raise awareness of staff on their rights, obligations and appropriate standards of behaviour, including existing formal and informal complaint and support mechanisms.
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To identify and report on lessons learned and best practices within the respective area of responsibility;
- To contribute and ensure timely reporting on activities within the respective area of responsibility;
- To take account of gender equality and human rights aspects in the execution of tasks;
- To undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Line Manager(s).
4. Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Successful completion of University studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma OR a qualification at the level in the National Qualifications Framework equivalent to level 6 in the European Qualifications Framework OR a qualification of the first cycle under the framework of qualifications of the European Higher Education Area, e.g. Bachelor’s Degree OR equivalent and attested police and/or military education or training or an award of an equivalent rank; AND
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience, after having fulfilled the education requirements, out of which a minimum of 3 years at coordination/management level.
5. Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to exercise collaborative, sound and effective leadership;
- Ability to manage, mentor and motivate a professionally diversified and multicultural team;
- Ability to establish, plan, and review priorities;
- Organisational, planning, and time management skills.
6. Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- Security studies, security and defence studies, peace and conflict studies, intelligence or other related fields;
- Successful completion of EU Mission Security Officer Certification Course;
- Authorised to carry and use weapons in compliance with the applicable legal framework;
- Valid license for armoured vehicle or C or C1 driving license;
- International experience, particularly in crisis areas with multinational and international organisations;
- Firearms trained.
7. Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the Mission area and potential security threats including in the wider region.
- Job City Mogadishu
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Mission Security Analyst at European Union Capacity Building Mission in Somalia
- Procurement Officer at Jhpiego Nigeria
- Information Management Officer at Grow Strong Foundation (GSF) – Borno & Yobe
- Deputy Senior Mission Security Officer / Head of Security Division at European Union Capacity Building Mission in Somalia
- HR Associate at International Rescue Committee