Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The overall goal of the upcoming Strengthening Accountability in Ghana’s Education Systems activity is to strengthen the accountability of the Ministry of Education (MoE) and its agencies and School Management Committees (SMCs) for improved education services and outcomes, using a behavioral science approach.
The Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (SMES) establishes and manages the overall activity system to track progress towards meeting contract results, indicators and targets. The individual will ensure that performance monitoring, action research, and evaluations are consistent with program results and track activity progress towards achieving targets and results. The SMES will manage and coordinate field-based monitoring and evaluation specialists, and any other staff responsible to performance monitoring, oversight, and data collection and reporting. The individual shall ensure that the methodologies proposed by the contractor to measure the program impact on access, retention, reading and learning outcomes, school safety, community engagement, gender, disability-inclusive, and conflict sensitive measures, are being consistently and systematically tracked and reported.
Ghanaian nationals are encouraged to apply.
The candidate for the position of Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist shall have at a minimum the following qualifications: Education:
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in education, public/business administration, international relations, other social sciences, or a similar relevant field. Master’s degree is desired.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of nine years of experience, including at least six years’ experience with performance monitoring, monitoring and evaluation, or operations research related to education in development work;
- At least four years monitoring and evaluating education sector programs;
- At least two years’ experience working with national/local institutions’ Education Management Information Systems;
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring results and indicators of education quality, learning outcomes, access, retention, and community engagement;
- Competency in descriptive and inferential statistics, including experience with statistical software (e.g., SPSS or Stata, as well as Excel);
- Experience in qualitative research design, data collection, and analysis;
- Knowledge of database management;
- Practical knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook; Demonstrate a high level of professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential documents and issues, and with co-workers and EDC partners; and
- Prior work experience in Ghana preferred.
Fluency in English is required.