Location: Nairobi or Amsterdam with frequent travel to project sites
Employment type: full time
Justdiggit is a fast-growing non-profit organisation working on landscape restoration in Africa. We are looking for an experienced Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) expert to help us strengthen our MEL strategy, report on our MEL data and manage MEL activities of our partners.
Justdiggit helps farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa to restore degraded landscapes using rainwater harvesting, agroforestry and climate resilient agriculture. We are currently active in Kenya, Tanzania, Togo, Ethiopia and Madagascar. In the coming years we will be starting up new programs in other regions and are developing a ‘Regreen app’ to spread the knowledge of regreening to all farmers with an internet connected phone. Furthermore, we have awareness campaigns throughout Europe and Africa.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for an experienced MEL expert to improve our MEL strategy and workflow for us and our donors/partners. For this role, we seek someone who is seasoned in the field of landscape restoration and monitoring & evaluation in international development. You will be leading the further development of our MEL strategy and approach on a day-to-day basis. Managing MEL plans, contracts and budgets with our program and evaluation partners, coordinate MEL staff within Justdiggit and our program partners, and analyse and report on evaluation outcomes and learnings. You should have experience in managing MEL activities and budgets, managing databases, data visualisations, reporting and GIS. Furthermore, together with the rest of the programs team, you will be involved in the design and set-up of new landscape restoration projects. And, as we are an organisation that loves communication, a good level of understanding on impactful and appealing communication and visualisation is important.
- Develop Justdiggit’s MEL strategy and frameworks.
- Manage MEL activities, budgets, contracts, and databases.
- Select and develop effective and innovative methods to quantify our impact (from household surveys to soil samples and satellite imagery).
- Support, train and supervise MEL staff within Justdiggit and of our program partners both in the office and field.
- Analyse and validate data together with our program partners, identify issues and challenges, combine different data sets into meaningful information and produce impact reports about it.
- Expand our network of (international) universities, partners, and experts.
- Contribute to the growth of Justdiggit and improvement of project design with data, insights, and learnings.
- Carry out regular visits to our program partners and field sites to coordinate and supervise MEL activities and build their capacity.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- MSc. in earth sciences, ecology, environmental sciences, conservation, physical geography, or related field.
- Proven track record of developing MEL strategies and managing teams for an organisation ininternational development.
- More than 8 years of relevant work experience.
- Technical expertise in landscape restoration, soil and water conservation or agro-forestry projects in international development.
- Able to initiate and manage MEL partnerships, from program partners to experts and scientists.
- Strong skills in quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods, from selecting or developing these methods to analysing data and reporting about the outcomes.
- Experience in setting up databases and systems for data collection and visualisation.
- Have a keen eye to spot anomalies or surprising insights in complex datasets.
- Good working knowledge in QGIS and/or Earth Engine.
- Affinity with research into the effectiveness of marketing and communications is a preference.
- Experience with working in rural settings in the African context.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a positive and pragmatic ‘can do’ attitude.
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch, Swahili and French is a preference.
WHAT DO WE OFFER
- Be part of a great mission: regreen our planet!
- As part of a fast-growing organisation, there will be ample room for personal and professional development.
- Great colleagues and a diverse team.
- You will be working from our office in Nairobi or Amsterdam (depending on where you live) with plenty of opportunities to work remotely and regular visits to our project areas.
How to apply
We are committed to building a team that includes and welcomes people of different genders, ethnicities, faiths, sexual orientations, and other diverse backgrounds.
If you believe you are the right person for this role, please send your CV and motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 1 May 2022. Please make sure you mention ‘MEL Expert’ in the subject line of your email.