We are an international development organization putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world. We help people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems. Challenges made worse by catastrophic climate change and persistent gender inequality. We work with communities to develop ingenious, lasting and locally owned solutions for agriculture, water and waste management, climate resilience and clean energy. And we share what works with others, so answers that start small can grow big.
We are a global change-making group. The group consists of a UK registered charity with community projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America, an independent development publishing company and a technical consulting service. We combine these specialisms to multiply our impact and help shape a world that works better for everyone
Practical Action seeks to recruit a capable and focused Senior Procurement, Logistics & Security Officer to be based in our Nairobi office. The post holder will meet the procurement, administrative & logistics requirements across the Country Office within the policies and procedures, strategy, organizational values, and guidelines of Practical Action, while adhering to the standards of conduct outlined in the Practical Action Code of Conduct and associated policies. In addition, he/she will ensure that due attention is paid to matters of security relating to staff, visitors, partners, and service providers to whom Practical Action has a duty of care.
The Senior Procurement, Logistics & Security Officer will ensure that Practical Action maintains transparency, integrity and compliance with established policies and procedures of the organization and relevant donor regulations. The post holder will both monitor the implementation of existing systems and propose improvements and developments to those systems where appropriate.
The post holder will be expected to perform but not limited to the following duties:
- Oversee and coordinate procurement functions across Practical Action Kenya, ensuring Procurement Polices and Guidelines are adhered to.
- Continuously recommend to their line Manager suitable methods of maximizing value for money within the supply chain.
- Maintain a procurement schedule/tracking tool aligned to the work plans of the various projects and the needs of the office.
- Facilitate and coordinate all procurement and supply process including preparing documents for tender committees, receiving bids and quotes, preparing purchase requisitions, pre-qualification processes, service level agreements, legally binding contracts between Practical Action and various contractors.
- Provide support to travel coordination and any logistical requirements for Nairobi office staff and international office co-workers.
- Maintain annual renewal of vehicle tax and insurance.
- Arrange annual inspection of all office vehicles in preparation for insurance renewal.
- Maintain an up-to-date asset register in liaison with the finance department that includes as a minimum: details of assets, costs of assets, date of purchase, source of funding.
- Ensure all PA assets are tagged and updated in the assets register.
- Ensure timely and cost-effective insurance of Practical Action Kenya assets in line with the asset management policy.
- Ensure that all staff, visitors, consultants and suppliers are properly briefed on security concerns in the country or areas of work.
- Maintain an overall security plan for the country, a briefing pack for visitors and a communications system to alert staff to incidents that may affect them.
- Be the first contact person for security matters pertaining to PA staff.
- Ensure that all hotels and meeting locations are adequately screened for security issues.
In addition, the Procurement, Logistics & Security Senior Officer will be expected to:
- Demonstrate very high standards of honesty and integrity that contribute to sound procurement processes.
- Create an enabling environment for project managers’/budget holders to improve their sourcing skills by developing trainings and being a mentor to others.
- Support and promote the standards outlined in the code of conduct and associated policies to the team, partner organizations and beneficiaries, and be committed to providing a safe working environment.
- Undertake performance management reviews for direct reports.
- Contribute to the office’s Strategic Business Plan and reporting against it.
To be successful in the role, you will be a graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Procurement, Supply Chain, Business Administration or a related field from a recognized university. A post graduate Diploma in Procurement, Logistics, Purchasing and Supplies or related field with relevant work experience (minimum of 5 years) may be considered in lieu of a degree. A background in security management, experience in operations, consulting, manufacturing, or supply chain with good analytical and critical thinking skills, organized and results driven is essential. Experience working with Government of Kenya, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Immigration, NGO Board and KRA, good self-management and communication skills is desirable. A detailed job description can be accessed through the below link: https://practicalaction.org/careers/vacancies/senior-procurement-logistics-and-security-officer/
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit their applications, including an updated CV with a cover letter via email to: email@example.com not later than 3rd April 2022 indicating Senior Procurement & Logistics Officer – Nairobi on the email subject line.
At Practical Action, we treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted