The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Program & Health Promotion Officer
Requisition ID: req35207
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Reports to: Senior Health Manager
Job Overview / Summary
- This project employs a, Community engagement, health promotion, health system support and strengthening approaches to provide a high-quality primary health care service and Psychosocial First Aid.
- Under the direct supervision of Senior Health Manager, the senior program and health promotion officer will be responsible for developing education, mobilization and sensitization activities and strategies related to health promotion for IRC health program in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
- S/he will also be the focal point for risk communication and community engagement in case of disease outbreaks and other events of public health importance.
- The main goal of the position is to transform attitudes and adjust health seeking behaviors through community mobilization, sensitization, advocacy, and health education.
- S/he will be working closely with the Health Team to ensure that the IRC’s health project interventions are guided by the Nigeria Country Program SAP Implementation Plan.
- Lead the development/review of health promotion activities and community mobilization strategies including the specific strategies to reach the hard-to-reach communities/ populations and innovation of SBCC strategies for health programs.
- Work with the community mobilization team to designs and adapts health promotion /community mobilization work-plans that adapt the shifting needs and gaps in knowledge of communities.
- He/She supports in organizing culturally sensitive educational and promotional activities to improve community participation in health service provision and raise awareness on health / reproductive health services such as immunization, family planning, antenatal / postnatal care, hygiene promotion, STIs and other communicable diseases, non-communicable diseases.
- Lead the conduct of regular communities’ assessment: discussions, meetings, interviews, focus group discussions as to assess the needs and gaps in knowledge of the targeted communities.
- Support in formulating key advocacy targets and messages from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation.
- Contribute to proposal and strategy development through input on needs for health promotion and community engagement activities.
- Liaise with service providers at IRC / IRC- supported government facilities to ensure strong linkages between services and communities.
Grant Management and Program Support:
- Ensure project activities are implemented according to the detailed implementation plan and within the allocated budgets.
- Responsible for management of health promotion and community mobilization budget lines
- Manage sector procurement plan, contribute to item forecast development and follow up with supply chain to ensure timely delivery of the sector supplies.
- Contribute to integra BVA report and provide recommendations/interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact budget adherence.
- Develop continuous education programs and build the capacity of community mobilisers, community volunteers, Community Health Influencers Promoters and Services (CHIPs) agent, and traditional birth attendant to deliver organizational objectives on SBCC including health promotion and community mobilization for service utilization SBCC.
- Routinely monitor supervised staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Supports in the administrative management of the team of Community Health Volunteers (CHVs), CHIPS and Traditional Birth Attendants (TBAs) (letters of agreement, payment of stipends, in-kind incentives etc).
- Monitor staff daily attendance to duty posts and ensure time sheets are correctly filled and submitted monthly.
- Responsible for compiling and keeping records of all the health education/promotional sessions (number/ gender/ age segregated).
- Work with M&E team to analyze data on a weekly/monthly basis, feeds information back to the program, and adapts strategies accordingly.
- Ensure accurate project documentation, including collection of monitoring data and tracking of progress on output indicators; utilize data to contribute to reports as requested by management.
- Provide weekly/monthly activity reports to the sector.
- Attend meetings concerning overall health program issues.
- Supervise and regular review and revise training manuals to maintain consistency with the acceptable protocols.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position reports to: Senior Health Manager
- Position directly supervises community mobilization officers and support to health program officers/assistant.
- Indirect Reporting: Health/Reproductive Health Managers, Senior Managers and Health Coordinator
- Internal: Health (Outreach Staff, Midwives, program managers) and other sectors (WPE, M&E, Governance, Finance, Supply Chain
- Key External Contacts: MOH, SPHCDA, UMTH, SSH, Umaru Shehu Specialist hospital and other INGOs (e.g., possible collaborative partners), Community leaders, health facility management team and CHIPS Agents.
- University Degree or Higher Diploma in Social Sciences, Sciences, Health Education, Nursing or Community/Public Health (Discharge / Exemption Certificate).
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working with local communities in a Health/Reproductive Health project especially as health educator/community mobilizer or similar position.
- Experience working with displaced population is a plus.
- Familiarity with the local context in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe State.: language, culture
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Willingness to travel to hard-to-reach areas, flexible, diplomatic and have ability and willingness live and work under pressure of workloads.
- Fluent in written/spoken English and Hausa
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Add position-specific (e.g., accounting software, statistical software, etc.).
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online