GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is allocated to evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty. GiveDirectly has raised over $400M in revenue (>$150M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Program Manager (Flex)
Location: Lagos (Remote)
Reports to: Regional Director
Level: Senior Manager
Travel Requirement: Up to 30% (to locations within and outside of Nigeria)
- We are in an exciting period of growth and is looking to bring on one or more Flex Senior Managers to support its global programs to both lead programming across the countries in which we operate, as well as establish operations in new countries.
- In this role, you will be crucial in developing opportunities for new business, building partnerships, and designing, launching, and managing new programs.
- This is an opportunity to drive impact and innovation in the cash sector at a time when cash is receiving unprecedented attention and interest in the public eye.
What You’ll Do
End-to-end project management:
- Own a rich project management plan and coordinate with stakeholders to ensure successful end-to-end execution
- Design operational models for new programs, including assessing trade-offs of different design decisions (e.g. targeting, payments, customer service)
- Define, track, and report operational and efficiency metrics
- Dynamically identify operational vulnerabilities (e.g. fraud, brand risk etc) and create solutions to de-risk
- Directly supervise multi-layered teams whose responsibilities include field team hiring and management, operations quality assurance, and business diligence support
New Business Development:
- Ideate, evaluate, and drive new program opportunities, driving end-to-end deal cycle from pitching to launch
- Scope new markets, including operational diligence, feasibility, and risk assessments for pilots and inbound proposal
- Identify and pursue fundraising opportunities for new programs
- Collaborate with partnerships team to create content to drive donor conversations and position GiveDirectly as a leader in the global cash space
Project and People Management:
- Lead cross-functional project teams, managing internal stakeholders and ensuring strong delivery of projects.
- Directly manage one or more Managers to deliver high-quality operations and programming
- Create a strong team culture rooted in GiveDirectly’s values. Cultivate and grow exceptional talent.
- Establish and maintain high-quality relationships with donors and operational partners
- Drive communication and alignment across a variety of internal and external stakeholders including GiveDirectly senior management, donors, operational partners, researchers, and payment providers
What You Bring
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
- We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- 4-7+ years of work experience in a problem-solving heavy role (including but not limited to: field management, consulting, analytics)
- Exceptional ability to work analytically through complex operational questions & run robust analyses to inform management and programming decisions
- Strong communications skills, including speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across diverse audiences
- Enthusiasm for dynamic environments where work can change quickly
- Ability to approach tasks with resourcefulness and to work in a highly self-directed manner
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations while simultaneously building more robust, efficient systems for the long term
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Experience and high comfort level working in developing-country or high-risk settings
- Ability to to travel up to 50% of the time including spending extended periods (up to 3 months) working out of the country where you are based
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Fluency in multiple other GiveDirectly working languages (French, Portuguese, Arabic)
- Experience working in conflict settings
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers health, dental, and vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
About the Hiring Process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
- First interview (30 mins)
- Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
- Second interview (1 hour)*
- Third interview (1 hour)*
- Final interview (1 hour)
- Reference checks (30 mins each)
- For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
- Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
- Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
- We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Program Assistant (Enugu) at Family Health International (FHI 360)
- State Coordinators at KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
- Program Assistant (Cross River) at Family Health International (FHI 360)
- Knowledge Management Associate, Nigeria Strengthening Civic Advocacy and Local Engagement (SCALE) at Palladium Group
- Field Specialist at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)