- Take responsibility for leading the coordination of the CAN Working Group on NDC enhancement and Climate Ambition, including drafting workplans, communicating with members of the working group and lead the implementation of working group activities as necessary under the guidance of the Head of Department and in close cooperation with the working group members and co-chairs.
- Lead the design, conceptualization and implementation of projects and programmes related to national climate plans and strategies through cross-departmental and network wide project teams and in line with agreed timetables, deliverables and project responsibilities.
- Through the CAN Taskforce on Equity and Fair Shares take responsibility for delivering a network wide position on assessing countries national climate ambition against global fair shares and equity and actively supporting CAN Nodes in developing advocacy strategies towards fair shares and equity – advancing the networks approach to addressing climate justice and equity.
- Take responsibility for maintaining and updating the CAN database on NDCs and proactively provide analysis on CAN issues of priority in relation to national climate change related policies such as civil society inclusion, equity, transformative policies and increased climate action.
- As relevant and agreed with the Head of Department, leverage and support CAN’s members and partners to deliver campaigns aligned with CAN priorities and in close collaboration with other CAN I departments.
- Regularly report on progress of the various tasks and projects, recognising challenges and working to overcome obstacles to ensure goals and objectives are met;
- Lead on both financial and narrative reporting connected to the projects the Senior officer is leading on;
- Completing required administrative tasks, and actively contributing to reporting, knowledge-management and monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts of CAN;
- Manage the work of interns when required.
- Take on any other tasks as assigned by the Head of Department.
The job holder must possess the following requirements:
Education and professional qualifications:
Advanced degree in climate change or sustainable development policy, or energy-related field.
Job-related experience & knowledge:
Minimum 5 years of progressively more senior experience in a programme or project manager function.
Minimum 3 years of experience in the climate change policy sector with demonstrated success in achieving global campaign goals.
Some experience in managing junior staff desirable.
Prior experience working for an international NGO or an organization focused on climate change and energy-related issues an advantage.
Knowledge and experience working in the CAN Network is an advantage.
Experience in working with a range of stakeholders in partnership-driven global projects desirable.
Knowledge of database-driven websites and online campaign tools and the ability to drive online campaigns an advantage.
PREFERRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Strong written and oral communication skills.
Ability to apply a political mind frame in the execution of work plans and deliverables.
Keen to take initiative and leadership while being sensitive to the network- and bottom-up driven nature of CAN.
Excels in being creative and yet structured in terms of facilitating strategic policy processes.
Excellent organizational and time management skills, proven ability to meet projected deadlines.
Ability to work independently and proactively and structure workdays in a global team.
Understands and values working in a flat organizational structure and enjoys engaging with other departments in the delivery of joined objectives.
Excellent attention to detail.
Excellent project management skills and is motivated by supporting project partners and team members to deliver on goals and activities.
Organized, high level of accuracy, and meticulous attention to detail.
Ability to prioritize, adjust workload, juggle multiple assignments and meet or exceed deadlines.
Able to synthesize information from multiple sources.
Ability to display sensitivity to different cultures.
Excellent computer skills and professional user of MS Office Programmes.
Experience in working with online-based project and team management tools including digital communication platforms such as WebEx, Zoom, Skype, DropBox, Google Documents and others.
Understanding of database-driven interactive website management desirable.
Fluent in written and spoken English required
Any other UN language skills are considered an asset.
How to apply
- Send a motivation letter and CV as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “**Senior Programme Officer – CAA**“
- The deadline for applications is 4th August 2021 COB.
- Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CAN is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to make positions accessible to all regardless of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, disability, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion, marital or parental status, etc.