Vacancy No. : IOM-SVN/0065/2023
Position Title: Senior Project Assistant – JLMP (Maternity Cover)
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Type of Appointment: SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Posting Period: 04.07.2023-06.07.2023
Organizational Context and Scope
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the UN Migration Agency with 174 Member States. IOM works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners in the field of migration. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the general supervision of the Director of the IOM Special Liaison Office to AU and UNECA and the direct supervision of the JLMP Programme Coordinator, the Senior Project Assistant is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Coordinate the day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Develop concept notes, agenda and other relevant workshop materials for workshops and coordinate field visits, appointments and meetings both internal and external related to the project activities and write minutes from the meetings; Support for the activities identified by the JLMP workplan.
- Provide direct administrative and project support to the implementation of the AU-IOM-ILO-ECA Joint Labour Migration Programme according to the work plan;
- Provide the necessary logistical and backstopping support in maintaining strong and regular liaison with the project partners;
- Draft responses to ad-hoc requests both internally in IOM and with external partners.
- Support the JLMP team in working closely with all Regional Offices in Africa to facilitate effective coordination and successful implementation of the project.
- Coordinate the process of integrating the project through creating links with other program coordinators and staff in different units of SLO Addis, especially the SLU.
- Provide necessary information and documentation for the project implementation.
- Design and produce visibility and communication materials that reflect the Project activities.
- Keep abreast on global, regional and local policy and operational developments related to the JLMP and share information to inform the JLMP implementation strategy.
- Support the monitoring and preparation of regular periodic reports for the activities implemented by the Project.
- Coordinate with Procurement, Finance, HR, and Logistics Units to provide response to JLMP requests during the required timelines.
- Administer payment vouchers and purchase requests and make sure payments and procured items are delivered on time to avoid any delay in the implementation of JLMP activities.
- Organize different workshops and trainings and assist the project team with the preparation of Travel Authorizations, settlement of Travel Expense claims and coordinate with the Travel Unit for all staff official travel bookings.
- Coordinate with the Finance Unit to facilitate the payment of Travel Advance and Settlements for the project team.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
University Degree in Economics, International Relations, Law or other Social Science fields.
First-hand experience and knowledge in liaison work including understanding of the structures and processes of IOM and the African Union will be an added advantage with five years of relevant work experience.
Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English, Amharic and other languages is advantageous.
Values and Competencies- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
- For External applicants: you can view the advert via reliefweb.int and you are required to send your application letter enclosed with your updated CV ONLY to RECADDIS@iom.int . Please make sure to mention the position name and position number on the subject line
- Any application that does not fulfill/attach the below-listed documents will not be considered.
- Motivation/Application letter indicating the short vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the short vacancy notice.
- CV (written in English) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) and Copies of all Academic Certificates from an Accredited University
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!