Job Post Information* : Job ID : 2022-1500
# of Openings : 2
Job Locations : BI-Bujumbura
Department : Public Financial Management
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with over 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. We are a data-driven evidence-based organization that specializes in informing policy making by delivering focused data-driven evidence-based analysis products and services. DevTech core practice areas include Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management.
FAST is a task-driven project that supports rapid, sustainable, and equitable economic growth in USAID-assisted countries by enabling USAID to bring a systems approach to addressing PFM (public revenue, budget, expenditure, and debt), trade capacity building, macroeconomic planning and policies, and other economic governance issues, such as regulatory reform, and by supporting missions to improve the following: a) host-country capacity to mobilize revenue and provide public services; b) policy climates for investment that generate more productive employment and inclusive growth, including consideration of issues specific to women and other disadvantaged populations; c) host-country ability to recover from, prevent, and/or mitigate the impact of conflict, natural disasters, or fiscal crises; d) host-country institutional capacity to identify, design, advocate, and implement better economic policies to enhance inclusive growth and gender equity. DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is the prime implementer of the FAST project.
Objectives of PFM in Burundi:
The intent of this task is to independently and objectively assess the context and rationale for USAID assistance to the Government of Burundi (GoB) in DRM and budget formulation and to provide a menu of options for USAID programming in these areas. The results of this effort will provide USAID a foundation for informed decision making related to investing in Burundi to support DRM and/or improved budget formulation.
- Work closely with the entire USAID/FAST Task team to execute per the attached program document. The team’s activities include, inter alia:
- Review documents related to technical assistance (TA) in PFM and DRM provided to the GoB by Burundi’s development partners.
- Review GoB’s PFM and DRM related priorities and its reform plans.
- Provide expert and local context input on assessing the context of DRM and PFM.
- Identify major weaknesses and gaps in both tax policy and tax administration and assess the need for potential future technical assistance in the PFM and DRM.
- Interview stakeholders including relevant government officials, donors, CSOs, private sector and others to assess the effectiveness of the current tax system. Some or all these interviews may be conducted remotely, given travel restrictions.
- Assess the extent of political will for strengthened PFM and DRM and effective use of domestic resources.
- Develop recommendations to strengthen PFM and DRM. Recommendations should include actionable tasks in near-term, medium-term, and long-term.
- Assess the need and feasibility for future support against USAID’s comparative advantage in PFM and DRM.
- Assess potential risks to success for the proposed interventions including identifying risk mitigation measures.
- Participate in discussions with USAID in Burundi or in Washington, DC, USA.
- In collaboration with FAST home office, coordinate the work, visits (if applicable), and logistics of the team.
- Guide the team in outreach to the appropriate key informants in government, civil society, international community, and private sector.
- Advanced degree in economics, public finance, or related discipline.
- At least 10 years of professional experience public policy and reforms in Burundi
- Understanding of international donor programs and relations with the Government of Burundi.
- Working proficiency in English and French (required)
Deliverables, Level of Effort, Schedule
- A draft Assessment Report providing the context, rationale, and options for USAID intervention (the “Strategic Case”) which will be presented to and discussed by stakeholders (i.e. USAID/Burundi, US Embassy, US Treasury, MoF, and other development partners) and comments will be incorporated as appropriate prior to the departure.
- Finalized versions of the Assessment Report, incorporating stakeholders’ comments and analyses as well as a policy brief version of the study findings.
Level of Effort:
- The estimated duration of this activity for the consultant is up to 35 days. However, given COVID-19 related travel restrictions, work will commence as a desk study to be followed by virtual interviews.
NOTE: This job posting should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or other status protected by applicable law.