About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global levels.
We support over 500 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are focusing on engaging and hiring great people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
The ECF’s strategic communications team plays an active role in helping create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international, national and sectoral level. Team members deliver strategic advice, communications and outreach support to ECF’s programmes and its grantees, and work as part of an international network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions more broadly.
About the role
We are recruiting for a Senior Research Analyst – Oil & Gas. This role will focus on developing compelling research and analysis that helps drive the transition towards clean energy and phase-out of dirty fossil fuels, and using it to drive impact through strategic communications. This might include influencing industry narratives on gas, helping direct government and industry spending into clean solutions, and working to prevent future gas lock-in. This role will work collaboratively in a global network of communications experts and partners, providing guidance and insight to support deeper strategic approaches, and producing analysis products for audiences of policymakers, investors, advocates, and journalists. This position will report to the Research Manager – Strategic Communications.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need to be naturally collaborative and great to work with. You’ll need to be good at persuading and enthusing colleagues, and will value building strong working relationships. You’ll need to be well across the current issues in the energy transition and net-zero debate, and have a strong specialist understanding of the dynamics in the oil & gas sector. You’ll be an excellent researcher and change-maker, a confident communicator and thought leader, and able to write quickly and accurately for a range of different audiences.
This role would suit someone with a background as an analyst on oil & gas, possibly with a campaigning or policy-oriented organisation, as a research consultant, or as a specialist journalist who has been covering this space in the context of climate change.
The Senior Research Analyst – Oil & Gas will be responsible for:
- Developing cutting-edge research and analysis to support efforts to build compelling and persuasive narratives and campaigns that drive change in the oil & gas sector and its investor community.
- Providing expert analysis and strategic insight to colleagues and partners, and building relationships with relevant partner organisations.
- Producing clear and concise briefings and strategic insight on a range of topics relevant to scaling down fossil fuels, including financing of oil & gas infrastructure, companies’ net-zero transition plans, LNG, hydrogen, carbon capture & storage, climate litigation, energy price crisis, and other areas as relevant.
- Supporting in the running of a small research team in a production environment, often to ambitious deadlines.
- There will be some mentoring or line management responsibility.
Experience and competencies
- Proven professional experience in a relevant role, and a track record of making things happen.
- Strong examples of work you have instigated and led in the energy finance space, with a particular focus on oil and gas, and good instincts about how to create impactful analyses and persuasive narratives that will effect change.
- A good understanding of the oil and gas sector and industry dynamics in key markets.
- Experience in financial and energy research, including expertise with tools like the Bloomberg Terminal, Rystad, and strong data handling skills.
- Experience in developing or contributing to communications or campaign strategies,and an understanding of research in the context of campaigning or strategic communications.
- Fluent English, both written and spoken.
- Strong written and in-person communication skills.
- The drive to be self-directed and work nimbly and generously over phone/video conferencing, timezones, etc.
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to tackle climate change.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic team that makes a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- The chance to research across a broad range of climate and energy issues, and to create impactful research products.
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with the possibility of renewal after one year.
You can be based anywhere, ideally within a 6-hour time difference of Central European Time, with a reliable internet connection. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
You must have the right to work in your location.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload below your CV and a short cover letter, both in English, 1-2 pages for each.
Please also include a short (fewer than 200 words) answer to this question: Please identify a recent example of impactful research on gas that advances the agenda for a rapid and just transition off of fossil fuels, and explain why you think it is effective.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.