The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Salary and Benefits Officer
Requisition ID: 1522
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Contract Type: Regular
Reports to: Head – HR shared Services
Directorate/Department: Human Resources Management
Division: Administration and Human Resources Management Division
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Number of Positions: 1
Job Grade: P3
Purpose of Job
- To provide technical support for the effective management of staff compensation and benefits and data validation of payroll processing to achieve the objectives of the AU.
- Provides technical support in the preparation and Implementation of programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan.
- Ensures effective coordination and implementation of staff compensation and benefits at various levels.
- Liaises with relevant stakeholders on staff compensation and benefits related matters.
- Prepares and develops reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division.
- Provides support to develop resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders’ coordination.
- Manages, supervises, coaches and monitors performance of Supervisees by ensuing timely performance evaluation and compliance to the appraisal phases.
- Conducts complex analysis and generates accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
- Liaises with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Implements, monitors, and updates staff pay and benefits policies to keep them competitive and legally compliant.
- Continually reviews current wage rates and Staff regulations and rules changes, and competitor’s compensation programs.
- Streamlines compensation policies, programs, and procedures with the AU’s HR vision and overarching objectives.
- Provides advice to the management on salary and compensation in line with statutory requirements as well as the AU’s philosophy and guidelines.
- Participates in the compensation and rewards strategies that attract and retain talent.
- Performs salary reviews based on sector specific benchmarking to submit it to policy organs and ensure competitiveness.
- Oversees and periodically reviews the administration of benefits.
- Participates in and/or leads projects focused on continuous improvement.
- Ensures the timely process of the payroll.
- Coordinates the provision of staff welfare (e.g., insurance, medical services, pensions) of local and international staff.
- Provides advice and support to staff on welfare, benefits and entitlements related matters.
- Oversees and ensures well-functioning and timely service delivery of the compensation and Benefits Unit.
- Provides advice and support to managers and staff on welfare, entitlement and benefits matters.
- Serves as main point of contact with external suppliers (i.e., insurance companies).
- Monitors the current staff compensation schemes proper application and evaluates the schemes to ensure value for money services as well as competitiveness of proposed scheme in comparison to the current market.
- Provides support for the evaluation of pension and insurance schemes Assist in the promotion of awareness of pension and its regulations;
- Develops or reviews the Education Allowance Policy to provide guidance while insuring adherence to the Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Ensures timely review of salary, allowances and benefits through engagement of consultancy firm and provision of necessary information and data.
- Provides support for the development, review and issuance of standard operating procedures and training programs.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Financial Management or Accounting with at least 7 years progressively responsible experience in payroll administration out of which 3 years at supervisory role in similar international organization. OR
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Financial Management or Accounting with at least 10 years progressively responsible experience in payroll administration out of which 3 years at supervisory role in similar international organization.
- Professional certification in finance related qualifications from a recognized institution will be an added value.
- Sound knowledge of IPSAS and ability to use SAP HCM module is mandatory.
- At least 7 years of experience in processing payroll in a large international organization with 500+ employees base is mandatory;
- Professional certification from recognized HR institutions such as SHRM-CP, CIPD or equivalent are desirable.
- Professional certification from recognized accounting institutions such as ACCA or equivalent are desirable
- Management and supervisory Skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Change management and strategic thinking skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multicultural environment
- Knowledge and working understanding of Microsoft office suite and AU software
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, processes and standards.
- Report writing, communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage .
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and Information Sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous Improvement Orientation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
13th March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.