Senior Technical Advisor – Health Systems Strengthening, Zambia Integrated Health Activity
Pact is an international nonprofit that works in nearly 40 countries building solutions for human development that are evidence-based, data-driven and owned by the communities we serve. Founded in 1971, Pact works with partners to build resilience, improve accountability, and strengthen knowledge and skills for sustainable social impact.
Programs – Pact strives for a world where all people are heard, capable, and vibrant. The Programs Team helps realize this objective by bridging program management, technical support, and business development, enabling Pact to achieve its global strategy. We ensure program excellence through continuous learning, monitoring and evaluation and provide organizational and industry-wide thought leadership by leveraging a complementary set of cross-functional, multi-disciplinary skills, expertise, and experiences. The Programs team: influences progressive change through the development and implementation of global and regional strategies and business plans; supports advancement of innovative solutions; pursues new business opportunities; and drives effective internal and external engagement to maximize Pact’s impact across the globe. Across all aspects of its role, the Programs Department adheres to and promotes a culture of inclusion, accountability, and respect.
Pact seeks an experienced Senior Technical Advisor – Health Systems Strengthening (STA-HSS) for the USAID/Zambia Integrated Health Activity (ZIHA). USAID/Zambia intends to award a $120M contract to support the USAID and PEPFAR objectives of 95/95/95. ZIHA will improve health outcomes of Zambians through equitable access to high-quality, client-centered HIV, TB/HIV, MNCH, and FP/RH services, products, and information, and strengthen integration of these services at the health facility and community levels when applicable. The STA-HSS will provide technical leadership and manage the implementation of HSS interventions at national and sub-national levels in support of sustainable achievement of ZIHA’s goals. ZIHA is anticipated to be a five-year activity. This position is contingent upon award and is anticipated to be based in Lusaka.
- Provide technical leadership, guidance, and support in building the capacity of the Government of Zambia (GRZ) and community-based structures to lead and manage local health systems that provide quality, integrated health services to vulnerable populations.
- Provide technical expertise on HSS issues, including but not limited to service delivery integration and quality; policy formulation and dissemination; human resources for health; supply chain management; monitoring, planning and coordination; and/or health systems resilience to public health threats.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for GRZ partners, including the Ministry of Health (MOH), for coordination and provision of technical assistance on HSS.
- Lead the implementation of a site-by-site transition plan to shift project support from direct service delivery to technical assistance in focus districts and provinces, based on agreed upon criteria and milestones.
- Provide targeted capacity building to Provincial and District Health Officers (P/DHOs) in translating national policies into action and implementing HSS initiatives that strengthen coordination and effective integration of HIV, TB, MNCH and FP services.
- Provide input into HSS components of project workplans, reports, and budget, and participate in project level processes to ensure integration with other project components.
- Monitor the implementation of HSS activities, ensuring that HSS objectives, targets, and deliverables are achieved on time and on budget.
- Liaise with USAID and key stakeholders, including MOH, civil society, private sector, and other USAID projects, on HSS issues relevant to the project.
- Participate in technical working groups addressing HSS issues linked to the project.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited university in public health or a relevant field.
- At least 8 years of experience in a senior leadership role in the health sector in implementing programs and interventions that support HSS.
- Demonstrated competencies in designing and implementing HSS activities for provision of HIV, TB, MCNH, and/or FP services in large-scale, complex, international development assistance programs, preferably with USAID and PEPFAR-funded programs.
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of Zambia’s healthcare and public health systems across all government levels.
- Experience leading technical teams, achieving deliverables, and working under USAID contracts preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, and work with and between different stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with government and civil society stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving and consensus building.
- Strong professional written and oral communications skills in English.
- Ability to travel within Zambia and occasionally internationally, when health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19 diminish.
- Clinical qualification (medical doctor, clinical officer, nurse, midwife, or other cadres).
- Knowledge of the political, social, and economic context of Zambia.
- Zambian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
How to apply
Please click hereto apply for this position.