FHI 360 is a global development organization, with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our team of professionals includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment, and research. FHI 360 operates from over 60 offices with more than 4000 employees in the United States and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at all levels and our multi-disciplinary approach allows us to have a lasting impact on the people, communities, and countries we serve by improving the lives of millions. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Technical Advisor, STEM for the upcoming USAID-funded Bridge to Middle School opportunity. This position will be based in Morocco—in Rabat or field offices in the project’s target departments—and is contingent upon award.
The anticipated USAID-funded five-year project is a systems-strengthening and capacity-building intervention that seeks to improve students’ ability to master key skills in the upper primary and middle school (“junior secondary”) grades and to facilitate the transition between the two levels of schooling. Activities will address: a) the ability of teachers to teach critical thinking, and students to master, literacy skills, math skills, and science skills in the upper primary grades; b) the ability of the Moroccan education system to provide high-quality literacy instruction in English and Arabic in the middle school years; and c) the ability of the Moroccan education system to provide high-quality science instruction consistent with an integrated STEM approach (science, technology, engineering and math) instruction in the upper primary and middle school years. Additionally, the project will build subrecipients’ capacities to directly respond to the development problems prioritized by the USAID Mission in Morocco.
The Senior Technical Advisor, STEM works in close coordination with the Chief of Party and is responsible for managing the quality and timeliness of the curriculum revisions, piloting, and training in science education that is integrated into a broader STEM approach. S/he will liaise with technical partners, relevant national stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the donor, as needed.
The Senior Technical Advisor, STEM will provide technical direction to the assessment and revision of current science curricula, teaching and learning materials, and assessment in upper primary and middle school subjects consistent with a broader STEM approach. Working with the project team, the ministry, and other key stakeholders, s/he will be responsible for the piloting and finalization of the curricula and materials, ensuring that they are aligned with each other, with international standards and consistent with a STEM approach across related subject areas. S/he will oversee the quality of project activities and provide technical oversight/guidance. The Senior Technical Advisor will ensure that climate change topics are integrated into the curricula across subject areas, in collaboration with other team members, that approaches are learner-centered, gender-friendly, and inclusive of children with disabilities. Working with the team members responsible for capacity building and scaling, the Senior Technical Advisor, STEM will design and oversee revisions of science teacher training.
- Collaborate with the MEN and other international donors to support the creation and integration of a STEM approach across related subject areas.
- Lead/advise on the review of the existing MEN Science curricula (grades 4–9) with respect to how well they embody the principles of integrated, inquiry-based and student-centric science education.
- Lead/advise on an analysis of the 2019 Moroccan TIMSS results to help determine specific curricula and instructional gaps.
- Lead the drafting of revised MEN Science curricula (grades 4–9) that align with and address each of the TIMSS 2023 content and cognitive domains.
- Lead/advise on the review of existing teaching and learning materials (TLMs) and teacher guides (TGs) with respect to quality and alignment with the revised curricula.
- Lead/advise on the development of new or updated TLMs and/or TGs as required.
- Lead/advise on the design, development and implementation of the necessary professional development programs and processes to implement the revised curriculum and supporting instructional practices.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with governmental agencies, including national, provincial and local governments, donor and partner organizations and other NGOs to establish collaborative working processes, enhance quality and effectiveness of programming, and serve as a knowledgeable resource in the area of STEM education.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the supervisor or Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party.
Also Check More FHi 360 Jobs
Technical Officer, Reporting & Communications at FHI 360
Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning – Ethiopia at FHI 360
Regulatory Affairs Associate (FHI Clinical) – Remote (South Africa) at FHI 360
- Master’s degree in Education, Science, or other related area; or other equivalent advanced training and certification required.
- At least 12 years of experience combined in STEM education including teaching sciences or integrated STEM (grades 4–9) and/or reviewing, designing, and piloting national curricula in upper primary/lower secondary school. Experience/familiarity with climate science a plus.
- Experience in designing and implementing teacher training activities.
- Familiarity with TIMSS, the Global Proficiency Framework, and/or other international benchmarking assessment frameworks.
- Experience working in Morocco or the region required.
- Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders.
- Experience working on USAID-funded programs preferred.
- Ability to travel locally and internationally as requested.
- Ability to coordinate in an organized and diplomatic way with donors, government stakeholders, as well as non-governmental organizations.
- Experience with gender- and socially inclusive and learner-centered approaches preferred.
- Fluency in Arabic and French required; English proficiency preferred.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and a package of exceptional benefits. Please visit the FHI 360 Career Center at http://www.fhi360.org/careers for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an employer with equal opportunity and affirmative action. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status in policies, programs, or activities.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
- Job City Rabat, Morocco
Similar Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) Jobs in Africa
Registration and Identity Management Officer
Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer
Senior Investigation Specialist
Senior Shelter Cluster Coordination Officer