TITLE: Social and Behaviour Change (SBC) Advisor
LOCATION: Monrovia. Liberia
CONTRACT LENGTH: 5 years
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
ROLE PURPOSE: Save the Children is seeking Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Advisor candidates for the upcoming USAID-funded Food Security, Nutrition, and Resilience (FSNR) activity in Liberia. The FSNR activity will aim to improve Liberia’s food and nutrition security and households’ resilience. FSNR is anticipated to be a five-year activity that will target smallholder farmers, subsistence farmers, cooperatives, women, and youth groups in rural and peri-urban communities within USAID/Liberia’s zone of influence (Lofa, Bong, Nimba, Margibi, Grand Bassa, and Montserrado).
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Chief of Party
Staff reporting to this post:
Budget Responsibilities: non
Role Dimensions: The position will work closely with the activity’s technical advisors to undertake assessments and coordinate the design, implementation, monitoring, and adaptation of an effective SBC strategy for the overall program.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Under the guidance of the Chief of Party and Save the Children technical advisors and consultants, lead the design, implementation, monitoring, and adaptation of an integrated SBC strategy.
- Oversee the design of formative research and contribute to the design of assessments relevant to SBC that may include barrier analysis and participatory action research.
- Regularly travel to activity site locations in order to lead the start-up and implementation of integrated SBC activities.
- Work collaboratively with project staff in other technical areas to support integration of activities and provide SBC mentoring and coaching throughout project design and implementation.
- Contribute to project reports, annual implementation plans, and regional strategic planning, ensuring that the SBC strategy is well articulated.
- Collaborate with M&E team to ensure SBC indicators are specific, measurable, attainable and action-oriented, relevant, time-bound and gender aware (SMARTG), and that SBC data collection and analysis is rigorous and informs programmatic decision making. Make regular field visits to monitor program quality and strengthen community capacity.
- Build management capacity for SBC design, monitoring, evaluation, and implementation.
- Lead trainings for staff and community stakeholders on community-led development methodologies and monitor community-level development initiatives.
- Participate in internal and external technical working groups and liaise with other stakeholders.
- Serve as an SBC focal point with local and international partners.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting.
* Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, international development, health, nutrition, or related area preferred.
* Significant knowledge of SBC theories and community mobilization principles as they relate to livelihoods, agricultural practices, health, nutrition, youth development, and/or gender for community-based programs.
* Excellent training design and participatory facilitation skills.
* Significant knowledge of livelihoods, food security, health, nutrition, and/or gender issues, preferably in Liberia or a similar context.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Five years of experience with the design and implementation of SBC programming in food security, nutrition, and/or gender. Past experience working on USAID activities preferred.
- Experience conducting and/or overseeing applied research and analysis regarding livelihoods, food security, health, nutrition, and/or gender at the community level is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing and triangulating data across multiple studies to inform the development of an integrated SBC strategy.
- Demonstrated experience providing supportive supervision to local stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work with host government and partners in implementing a complex project in the field under challenging circumstances.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations, as well as demonstrated ability to manage teams effectively.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Job City Liberia