SHOFCO is a grassroots organization that unlocks the potential of urban slum dwellers to lead hopeful and fulfilling lives. SHOFCO disrupts survival mode by providing critical services including health care, clean water, education, and economic empowerment; and links these efforts to a community-led advocacy platform. Over the next 5-10 years, SHOFCO aims to become a national platform for urban slum transformation across Kenya, demonstrating a scalable and replicable model that can be used around the world.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Social Enterprise Manager will be responsible for the development, implementation, coordination and promotion of SHOFCO’s social enterprise initiatives and similar revenue-generating programs. The Social Enterprise Initiatives at SHOFCO are intended to test and scale self-sustaining enterprise initiatives with a social development impact. The successful candidate will lead in the development and management of new and existing social enterprise initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop the necessary structures to support the launch of new social enterprises and apply enterprise development best practices and approaches.
- Planning, coordination, implementation, and administration of SHOFCO social enterprise activity
- Responsible for financial projections and financial modeling for social enterprise initiatives.
- Monitor and interpret legislation, regulations, and service agreements relating to the SHOFCO social enterprise initiatives.
- Manage the operations of the social enterprise with a view to maximizing sustainability and social purpose, including people management
- Foster high-performing partnerships and team cohesion within the social enterprise initiative
- Develop a portfolio of social enterprise initiatives and develop concepts and programs.
- Facilitate review meetings with beneficiaries, partners, and other stakeholders to assess milestones achieved and emerging issues to be addressed.
- Identify product/services opportunities and potential markets for social enterprises consistent with SHOFCO’s mission, values, and objectives
- Coordinate social enterprise programs development implementation and management with Finance and Program Departments
- Conduct specialized research for business development and planning.
- Work with Finance to design social enterprise budgets and perform analysis of the initiatives on key performance indicators.
- Prepare and submit monthly and other required progress reports as prescribed and in a timely manner.
- Maintain good public relations and promote visibility on the work of SHOFCO.
- Support the Program team in the development of concept notes.
- Represent SHOFCO at designated internal/external meetings and liaise on a regular and ongoing basis with commercial partners.
- Extend support to other SHOFCO programs as required.
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience, and Attributes / Skills)
- Minimum Degree in Business, Economics, Marketing, or any other related field
- Demonstrated experience managing complex commercial environments
- Strong experience in managing and developing people and teams
- Creative, innovative, and analytical approach with meticulous attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in budget management and analyzing results to improve commercial outcomes
- Excellent relationship management skills with a particular focus on beneficial relationships with business partners.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to engage with people at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and on an independent basis
- Experience in coaching and training peers and direct reports.
- Demonstrated experience in managing both change and commercial projects.
Other required qualifications (unique/job specific)
- 5 years experience working in the commercial or social enterprise environment.
- In-depth knowledge of Social Enterprise ecosystem.
- Good business acumen
- Excellent written, oral and presentational communications skills
- Strong in establishing solid working relationships
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
How to apply
SHOFCO is an equal opportunity employer and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. We, therefore, advise the general public to exercise due diligence when applying for employment.
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed Cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org stating their current and expected salaries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications should reach us no later than 10th March 2023.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Burkina Faso – Coordinateur Financier (H/F) – Ouagadougou at Solidarités International
- National Consultant – Development of the Migration Profile Report for the Republic of South Africa at International Organization for Migration
- Directeur Adjoint d’établissement – EEAP SESSAD H/F at Croix-Rouge Française
- Chef de délégation (H/F) – MOZAMBIQUE at Croix-Rouge Française
- Administrative Support Coordinator, USAID Africa Trade and Investment (ATI) program at DAI Global