TITLE: Social Protection Technical Specialist – Programme Design and Implementation
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The purpose of this assignment is to support the Kaduna State government to undertake key reforms and sector strengthening initiatives identified in the state SP policy. These reforms are critical for ensuring long term sustainability and effectiveness of the state’s social protection programmes and are key to ensuring that the state’s SP policy can be fully and adequately implemented. The purpose of this assignment is to support the Kaduna State government to design and operationalise key social protection programmes identified in the state SP policy implementation framework. The primary function of this role is to provide technical support to the Kaduna state government to reform and strengthen the social protection sector. S/he will represent Save the Children externally, including high-level meetings in the state and through cross-organizational working groups and civil society networks.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Focal Person, Kaduna Social Investment Office and the Senior Social Protection Specialist, CDGP-SCI
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
The primary function of this role is to provide technical support to the Kaduna state government to design and operationalise key social protection programmes as identified in the state social protection policy implementation framework.
- Providing support to development and design of key systems and processes including
- – Payments
- Livelihood Support activities
- Support to planning and budgeting for priority programmes.
- Ensure linkage and synergises between state and federal programmes
- Development of SoP’s and required guidance documents for relevant programmes
- Research, analysis and assessment to inform decision making around priority programmes
- Capacity building and training of key actors on different aspects on priority programmes
- Demonstrate good knowledge of Kaduna state government structures (parliamentary and political processes and key decision-making) including the local governments and articulate how to influence them.
- Undertake a range advocacy, communications and other activities to inform and persuade policy makers, including donors and politicians, of the value of Save the Children’s policy recommendations.
- Build systems for research, analysis and documentation that underpin evidence based advocacy and influencing at state level.
- Produce reports, briefing papers and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed
Collaboration & Representation:
- Develop strategic relationships with other agencies engaged in advocacy and policy work.
- Develop and maintain a network of external contacts with key individuals in the government, NGO sector, civil society and the media.
- The Policy Coordination and Sector Reform Specialist while supporting the delivery of Save the Children’s Child Development Grant Program, will work with civil society organizations to ensure strong accountability for political and financial commitments and contribute to the implementation of Social Protection policies, and strategic frameworks.
- Represent Save the Children at various policy forums and advocacy opportunities at State level, as directed.
- Act as a spokesperson for Save the Children to a variety of external audiences including policy makers and the media, as directed.
- Liaise closely with staff in the Social Policy units at Save the Children Country Office and coordinate with other Save the Children members.
- Support the programme team in the development of research methodologies, data analysis, report writing and publication.
- Ensure clear links and mutual reinforcement between programmatic approaches and Social Policy strategies.
- Write regular progress reports, including annual impact monitoring reports.
- Perform other tasks, as required, to ensure the smooth running of the country programme.
COMPETENCES AND BEHAVIOURS (Our Values in Practice)
Leading and inspiring others – Delivering results – Developing self and others – Problem solving and decision making – Innovating and adapting – Applying technical and professional expertise – Working effectively with others – Communicating with impact – Networking
Adhere to SCI Values: Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk with.
Similar Vacancies, Ngo jobs in Africa now
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Skills & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Protection Development, Social Policy, Economics or any other related discipline
- At least 5 years’ experience designing and implementing social protection programmes specifically cash transfer programmes
- Experience in project management and training
- Experience in the implementation and oversight of projects implemented for vulnerable populations
- Experience with solutions aimed at increasing programme efficiency
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and coordinate with a variety of stakeholders, maintaining harmonious and productive working relationships
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Attention to detail and capability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment
Administrative & General Skills:
- Broad understanding of poverty and vulnerability in Nigeria
- In-depth knowledge of social protection in Nigeria, particularly key developments in the last few years
- Awareness of key developments in social protection in Kaduna state
- In-depth understanding to the project management cycle
- Excellent communication and report writing skills are required.
- Familiarity with the overall policy and strategic context of Nigeria is an asset.
- Good facilitation skills for internal and external consultations;
- Strong analytical and good inter-personal communication skills; experience in participatory processes;
- Professional command of English, both oral and written, good report writing skills.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=Zi5hZGVzaW5hLjI5MjQ4LjEyMTg1QHNhdmV0aGVjaGlsZHJlbmFvLmFwbGl0cmFrLmNvbQ