Dexis is a professional services firm that solves the most pressing social challenges in complex environments, paving the way for a more secure and prosperous world.
Dexis embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion and strives to build and maintain a safe environment where we celebrate diverse backgrounds, treat everyone with respect, and value the unique lived experiences each person brings based on their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, military or veteran status, national origin, age, marital status or family status and related conditions.
At Dexis, you will experience a corporate culture of inclusiveness, fairness, and trust. You will be given the means and mentorship needed to succeed, and your creativity will be rewarded.
Dexis is seeking a mid to senior-level Somalia Border Security Subject Matter Expert (SME) to provide comprehensive management and support for an anticipated project to be awarded by the Department of State’s (State) Bureau of Counterterrorism (CT). This project will focus on enhancing border security cooperation and coordination between the Federal Government of Somalia and Government of Kenya to prevent, disrupt, and respond to al-Shabaab activity along the border. The Somalia Border Security SME will serve as a technical advisor on the implementation of the program activities, which will include a comprehensive border security assessment and unit mapping exercise, development of a joint action plan in collaboration with Kenyan and Somali stakeholders, and general provision of training, equipment, and advisory support to Kenyan and Somali stakeholders.
The Somalia Border Security SME will support successful implementation and completion of project activities and deliverables, liaise with internal and external stakeholders, work independently to meet deadlines, and achieve project goals. The Somalia Border Security SME may support direct client and partner relationship management, management of some staff, serve as the main point of contact for the Federal Government of Somalia stakeholders, coordinate with the project team in Kenya and coordinate with Dexis Home Office.
This position will be based in Somalia, or be based in Kenya with regular travel to Somalia, and is contingent upon award.
- Provide technical direction and guidance for project activities, particularly those taking place in Somalia, under this requirement.
- Conduct project activities, including supporting the initial border security assessment and unit mapping exercise; providing insight for development of the joint action plan; liaising with Kenyan and Somali stakeholders in support of the joint action plan and other activities; developing, preparing, and delivering trainings to project stakeholders; and other tasks as requested.
- Serve as a border security expert, including as an assessor, advisor, and/or trainer.
- Serve as a technical advisor and main point of contact for the Federal Government of Somalia, supporting border security and representing the program.
- Communicate closely with Dexis, appropriate points of contact at State/CT, and other relevant stakeholders and local community members to coordinate achievement of program objectives.
- Communicate regularly with colleagues and key stakeholders to keep abreast of the Kenya/Somali socio-political and economic situation.
- Ensure program compliance with Dexis policies, State/CT regulations, and local Somali laws through project development, implementation, and closeout.
- Provide mentorship to other members of the Somali team to ensure professional growth and development of technical skills.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent university degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience in Border Security, Capacity building, and/or work in the region.
- Experience working in complex and challenging field operations.
- Experience with law enforcement, capacity building, border security, and/or counterterrorism.
- Familiarity with Kenya and/or Somalia context, particularly related to Kenya-Somalia border.
- Experience supporting projects, contracts, and/or business development efforts with State or other U.S. Government agencies and offices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to manage a diverse range of professional relationships.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products.
- Professional proficiency in regional languages, including Somali, and/or Arabic.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Experience living and working in Somalia.
- Currently located in Kenya or Somalia.
- Experience working on Kenya-Somalia border security efforts.
The successful candidate should be:
- Creative, synthesizing information, harnessing skills, and applying good judgment to solve problems and make improvements.
- Conscientious, demonstrating personal integrity and a desire to mentor others.
- Relationship-oriented, building a project management team and fostering positive connections with clients and partners as well as other Dexis teams.
- Poised, managing priorities and producing quality work in complex and time-sensitive conditions.
- Ambitious, taking the initiative to pursue new opportunities to develop professionally and help Dexis grow.
- Communicative, using clear language to share ideas in writing and speech.
Dexis is on a mission to help solve today’s most pressing global political, social, and economic challenges and create a world where all people are safe and prosperous. As a Dexis employee, you will be challenged, empowered, and mentored. Our motto is “find a way or make a way” — that’s how Dexis goes “all in.” How will you?
If you are passionate about this opportunity, apply now!
Only those applicants who meet the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
Dexis is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, pregnancy, disability, age, genetic information, military service, veteran status, ethnicity, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, childbirth and related medical conditions, including lactation, or any other protected class under applicable law.
If you are hired for a position that is paid from the Dexis home office, you will be required to submit proof that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine unless you qualify for a legally recognized medical or religious exception to the vaccine requirement. This does not apply to AL, AZ, FL, KS, MT, NH, ND, or TX residents.
How to apply
View Job Opportunity – Dexis Consulting Group (dexisonline.com)
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Epidemiology and Laboratory Services Advisor, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc.
- Storekeeper at Trócaire
- Security Advisor at Chemonics
- Office Manager at Chemonics
- Data Advisor, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc.