Finn Church Aid (FCA) is Finland’s biggest development co-operation organization and the second biggest organization in Finland working in humanitarian aid. Finn Church Aid is a member of the ACT Alliance (ACT), an alliance of faith-based development and humanitarian aid organizations forming one of the world’s largest aid organizations.
Finn Church Aid Kenya is looking for a
SNE Assistant – 1 Position
Duty Station: Kakuma/Kalobeyei
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Tasks and Duties
- Capacity building of teachers to embrace children with special needs and equip them with skills for inclusive education.
- Spearhead FCA programming for children who need additional support. This includes children with physical disabilities, learning, emotional, behavioural or communication difficulties, conditions such as autism, dyspraxia, dyslexia and ADHD, sensory impairments (for example, visual impairment), sensory processing disorder, and mental health issues.
- Capacity building of incentive SNE Teachers and regular class room teachers on specific needs of special needs children.
- Guide the teachers on how to organize the classroom and learning resources to create a positive learning environment for inclusion.
- Assist teachers in planning, preparing and presenting lessons that cater for the needs of the whole ability range within their class.
- Assess and prescribe the right equipment to SNE children and train the teachers and learners on how to use them.
- Provide the required leadership in the programming and interventions for all persons living with disabilities
- Guide and train parents of children with disability on basic conception for upbringing of their children.
- Together with the SNE, conduct community mobilization and sensitization on significance of SNE/disability mainstreaming and inclusion.
- Make the relevant assessments and coordinate the development of relevant interventions and programs for the special needs education and community based rehabilitation for the persons living with disabilities
- Facilitate the access to quality special needs education and rehabilitation services in the refugee camps and host community where possible
- Staying up to date with changes and developments in the curriculum structure and informing the staff on the same.
- Working with the management & other stakeholders to ensure participation of SNE learners in all aspects of education.
Professional Qualification :
- Diploma in SNE (KISE), with P1 Certificate from Kenya National Examination Council.
- Registered by Teachers Service Commission.
- Computer literacy & various short courses on SNE to keep abreast with new developments in the sector.
- Competencies: Ability to assess children with special needs and teacher trainer.
- Special preference to person with specialization in speech disorder or visual impairment (low vision and/or proficient in advanced braille).
- At least 4 years of progressive experience in SNE programming.
- Assessment skills for children with special needs and teacher trainer on inclusion.
- Experience in community based rehabilitation programs.
- Experience gained within an international humanitarian NGO will be an added advantage.
- Experience in inclusive education and safe learning environments initiatives.
- Experienced in using learner centered model of teaching.
How to apply
All qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send a completed Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae to: email@example.com stating the vacancy job title in the subject line
Deadline for receiving applications is 23rd September 2021
FCA will only contact short- listed applicants.
FCA is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation. FCA is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies. Attempts to influence recruitment procedures through phone calls, emails or inducements of any kind will lead to disqualifications