Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Specialist, Finance (Roving)
Reports to: Regional Controller, West Africa
Team: International Finance
- The Search for Common Ground Finance Team seeks to achieve excellence in financial management by providing accurate and timely financial information to Search management and programs and by adhering to established financial practices and accounting principles.
- The international finance team has purview for facilitation of timely and accurate reporting of financial and budgetary information from the international country offices to the headquarter office in Washington, DC with a staffing design to include Regional Controllers to support Search and donors by guiding and reviewing the work of the country office finance staff and advising the Country Directors.
- Support Country Finance teams
- Monitor compliance in financial policies, standards and procedures for the Country Offices in assigned region
- Identify and propose appropriate solutions and capacity building of country office teams
- Work with Regional Controller and Country Offices to identify and provide necessary finance management support, which includes temporarily assuming the position of the Country Finance Manager/ Finance Coordinator until a permanent replacement can be identified and trained and fill in the gap where Country finance staff is on leave
- Ensure all documentations and trip reports for each assignment are submitted to the Country Finance Manager/Country Director/Regional Controller for approval and attached with payment documents.
- Support the Country Finance staff in day to day reconciliations and financial analysis
- Ensure that Country Office keep supporting documents for all financial transactions
- Provide assistance in the overall month end process and work with Country Offices for timely closing of books
- Review financial reports and documents from the field offices and ensure that they are received in a timely manner
- Provide monthly rating of the assigned Country offices on status of documents and scanning of supporting documents.
- Ensure that Country offices have updated policies and procedures in place.
- Work closely with the logistic department to ensure that the asset register is updated regularly and matches physical assets.
- Conduct monthly review of supporting documents for the assigned region for compliance purposes. The suggested review is at least 30% of supporting documents for each region.
- Conduct monthly review of documents scanning and follow up with Country offices on shortcoming.
- Conduct Inventory Check and ensure Internal control compliance review
- Ensure due diligence is conducted for all new and existing sub-grantees
- Review sub-grantee supporting documentation and ensure with the relevant CO timely settlements
- Provide training and support to finance and non-finance staff regarding generally accepted financial procedures and SFCG internal controls.
- In conjunction with CO facilitate the coordination of financial activities, trainings and workshops, participate in and facilitate country finance workshops and training as required
- Maintain open communication with Finance, program staff and others for all financial clarifications
- Serves as country office finance staff back-up for critical tasks, as needed
- Infuses organizational values into all work.
- Other duties that are broadly in line with the above key contributions as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Typically BS / BA in Accounting or related course with a minimum of 9 years’ experience
- Professional Affiliation would be an added advantage
- Should be fluent in both French and English.
Competency Behavior Indicators (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Manages overall strategy and vision. Provides functional and program/project management. Anticipates and plans for needs and takes action accordingly. Provides guidance to direct reports or matrixed team members.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with vendors, organizations, professional associations, partners, funders, and Search’s network of experts critical to the area of purview.
- Modifies a planned course of action in response to new information or new circumstances.
- Responds to changing circumstances and expectations readily.
- Articulates Search/function program/project goals and objectives within and external to Search. Develops program objectives that reflect broader Search strategies and approaches.
- Provides input for standards across functions globally within Shared Services teams and with a view from a multicultural perspective that reflects consideration of other cultures, other viewpoints, and other ways of doing things.
- Overcomes obstacles using ethical practices; formulates and evaluates morally and ethically justified solutions.
- Assesses risks and opportunities to lead decision makers to a favorable outcome.
- Checks the accuracy of one’s own and others’ work and sets up systematic checks and balances to support content and data integrity.
- Has knowledge of project management tools including technology as resources for efficiency and reduction of stress.
Type and Nature of Contacts:
- Routinely coordinates with colleagues and consultants on-site and in the field and resolves problem situations with tact.
- Represents, as assigned, selected programs or projects and other organizations, including donors, vendors, and international and local partners.
- Interacts with the country office and regional staff.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Usual office environment conditions; ability to travel internationally at least 25%.
- Should be ready to be based in West Africa in either Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso, Nigeria or Niger.
Supervisory and Budget Responsibility:
- Does not typically have supervisor or budget responsibility.
Application Closing Date
31st August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Collaboration- Audacity – Tenacity – Empathy – Results. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest, and Anti-fraud. Search is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children, youth, and vulnerable adults with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children, youth, and vulnerable adults.
- Search for Common Ground does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Audit & Compliance Officer at Action Health Incorporated
- Senior Procurement and Logistics Assistant at International Organization for Migration
- Inter – Regional Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Officer at Jesuit Refugee Service
- Finance Assistant -Garowe – G5 – LICA Modality contract at World Health Organization
- Study On Green Business, Green Jobs & Green Skills For Leather In Kenya And Cotton & Textile In Ethiopia