Responsible for evaluating internal control activities of field offices and our global service center as assigned. This position will assist in planning and executing internal audits and other reviews in providing assurance on the effectiveness of internal controls, risk management and governance processes. The position supports the Director, Global Internal Audit (GIA) in executing internal audit strategy and assignments approved in the audit plan. The position offers advisory services and support in accordance with industry standards as well as in line with internal procedures.
All we do, and how we do it, seeks to promote God’s beauty, goodness, and truth in a broken world. As such, we are defined by our ability to make people’s lives measurably better; our ability to deliver impact is the measure of our collective success. For we know that we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God has already prepared in advance for us to do. At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of values called Heartbeat Values.
- Contribute to the periodic update of the internal audit manual, setting out specific procedures and audit activities.
- Assist with the annual compilation process for the global audit plan.
- Assist in staff training and development at country levels on risk and internal control related topics.
- Perform audit level engagement planning in collaboration with the GIA Director.
- Lead audit engagement process in country offices under the direction of the GIA Director.
- Conduct assurance activities in accordance with GIA procedures, including scoping of an audit engagement, developing an audit program for area under review, identifying internal control deficiencies, clarifying root causes of issues noted and ensuring compilation of timely and effective corrective action plans.
- Test and document via concise working papers the adequacy of the design and effectiveness of internal controls.
- Interact with Country, Business Unit and Program Leaders in ways that ensure cooperation is achieved and audit value is delivered.
- Maintain sound metrics around delivery of audit results, both quantitative and qualitative measures as defined.
- Coach and train leaders and staff at the field/project level in best practice standards on risk management and internal controls.
- Document and communicate audit results in accordance with professional standards and FH’s internal audit procedures.
- Based on the follow-up plans, tactfully and proactively follow-up on findings as identified during audits and reviews.
- Continuously monitor and report status of implementation of agreed action plans on a quarterly basis.
- Assist in performing special investigation into allegations of malpractices such as fraud, loss, waste, and abuse, when called upon and under the guidance of GIA Director.
Job Level Specifications
- Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian beliefs.
- Demonstrated computer-operating skills, including proficiency in Google platforms, Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), and virtual technologies such as Skype and Zoom.
- Ability to sit/stand at a computer for up to 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard.
- Strong intercultural communication skills, able to acclimate to the various national environments in which FH operates.
- High integrity and a strong sense of professional ethics.
- Intermediate knowledge of risk management and compliance processes and practices.
- Ability to lead and perform compliance reviews and develop a system that ensures effective compliance with donor and country regulations.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time per year in the US and internationally, sometimes to insecure countries or locations.
- At least 4+ years of external audit, internal audit, risk management and/or compliance experience including performing operational reviews and fraud investigation.
- Working awareness and knowledge of the International Professional Practices Framework from the Institute of Internal Auditors is a must.
- Experience in conducting risk assessments in a complex global organization is a must.
- Experience with US Government regulations such as the 2 CFR 200, as well as other multinational and private donor regulations is a plus.
- Non-profit (NGO) ministry experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in finance, accounting, internal audit, compliance, risk management or similar area required.
- Certification such as CIA, CPA, ACCA, CFE or related certifications is strongly preferred.
Proficiency in spoken and written English. Spanish or French is a plus. Ability to write professional reports and business correspondence succinctly. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
FH strives to provide an environment free from sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the Heartbeat Values and safeguarding and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
Typically, successful candidates are hired at a salary rate up to midpoint of the range, based on relevant experience, internal equity, and budgetary allowances.
Insurance – Health, Disability, Life
Paid holidays, vacation, & sick leave
Pension, available on first of month after date of hire
- Job City Nairobi
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Signature Program Technical Lead – East Africa at Heifer International
- Associate Director, Operational and Hyper Support Lead – ERP at International Rescue Committee
- Pharmacy Supervisor (Abuja) at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – WaCA
- Janitor – Kenya National Hire at Church World Service – CWS RSC Africa
- Facility Management and Logistics Advisor (Abuja) at Palladium Group