Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Center (SC) Officer (Nurse)
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- The position holder will be responsible for the implementation of the Stabilization Centre component of the community-based management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) in Damaturu LGA, Yobe State.
- He/she will work closely with the SC Coordinator, project coordinator, government staff, and other SC staff for effective implementation of the CMAM program.
- In addition, he/she will be responsible for the provision of high-quality technical support to the project lead.
Dimensions of the Role
- The incumbent will be responsible for the management of children under 5years with complicated severe acute malnutrition (SAM) in the established stabilization centre.
- He/she will be responsible for the diagnosis, treatment, discharge, and follow-up of children admitted with complicated SAM based on the National and WHO guidelines.
- He/she will work closely with the SC Coordinator and other stabilization centre staff to provide optimal care to children admitted with complicated severe acute malnutrition.
- Ensure children aged 0-59months presenting to the health facility with complicated SAM are correctly screened, diagnosed, triaged and admitted.
- Provide quality clinical care to admitted children in accordance with the National/WHO guideline for In-patient Management of SAM.
- Ensure emergency treatments are correctly given to critical children and ensure close monitoring of all patients in phase 1 and a smooth transition to phase 2 in line with guideline.
- Administer and prescribe drugs based on analysis of history, examination, test reports, findings, and National/WHO SAM inpatient management protocol.
- Ensure quality daily review and proper documentation of patients’ clinical evolution until exit from the facility.
- Ensure the multi-chart/inpatient card is properly and completely filled and monitored and corrective actions are taken on daily basis.
- Ensure the availability of job aids, therapeutic products (F75, F100, RUTF, ReSoMal), and drugs for program implementation in the SC
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the team, including admission, discharge, and transfer to and from the OTP/SC.
- Work closely with the SC Coordinator, government staff, and other SC staff to ensure that all aspects of the program are understood and agreed upon and appropriate referrals take place to and from the community to Outpatient Therapeutic Program (OTP) and SC sites.
- Ensure that health professionals from the health facilities participate in the daily routine work for sustainability and a smooth phase-out strategy.
- Ensure all children in SC are immunized according to the national protocols.
- Ensure timely identification of non-responders and plan referral to higher centres for further investigation and management.
- Ensure correctness, consistence, and completeness of the information in the nutrition registers.
- Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies by appropriate forecasting.
- Ensure efficient documentation of daily use of medical supplies, food items and NFIs and carry out weekly/monthly inventory.
- Provide key Nutrition and Health education messages to beneficiaries based on the protocol and guidelines.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the SC sites.
- Follow-up and ensure the field team interacts with the beneficiaries properly
- Provide weekly and Monthly CMAM and success story reports to the SC Coordinator/Nutrition coordinator.
- Upholds the image and values of Plan International Nigeria at all times.
- Performs other related tasks as required.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum of B.Sc Degree in Nursing / Diploma in Nursing/RN with experience in emergency nutrition response especially complicated SAM management in the Stabilization centre.
- Over two (2) years of experience in complicated SAM case management in the SC and CMAM programs.
- Experience in IMCI
- Valid and current practicing license.
- Excellent report-writing skills is an additive
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of PLAN’S aims, values, and principles.
- Females are encouraged to apply.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email, and utilization of the internet.
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution, and ability to deliver PLAN’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Facilitate the development and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities
- Excellent community mobilization skills
- Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
Application Closing Date
13th May, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Project Driver, Data.FI at Palladium Group
- Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) / Technical Director – IHP at Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI)
- Health Informatics Intern at Palladium Group
- Intern – Peace Security and Gender, West Africa at the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Country Manager, Senegal & Guinea at Self Help Africa