ABOUT FREEDOM HOUSE
Freedom House is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that works to create a world where all are free. We inform the world about threats to freedom, mobilize global action, and support democracy’s defenders, especially those working in closed authoritarian societies. We are founded on the core conviction that freedom flourishes in democratic nations where governments are accountable to their people; the rule of law prevails; and freedoms are guaranteed. Established 80 years ago to respond to the threats posed by fascism, we know there is no more powerful force for the development of human society than democracy. As the world experiences the 15th year of consecutive democratic decline, our work—and our partners carrying it out around the world—have never mattered more.
The Intern will provide logistical, research, and administrative support to the Latin America programs. She/he will have the opportunity to gain experience in program administration and development, and writing on topics pertaining to human rights issues in the region.
Intern positions are temporary, generally lasting a full semester.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university during the semester of the internship
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish, both verbally and in writing
- Interest in human rights and democracy-related issues in Latin America
- Excellent Internet research and writing skills
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
SOME DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor and report on key events in Latin America, and prepare summaries of issues including elections, status of relevant legislation, and other topics as needed
- Assist in the creation of press releases, media alerts, and social media
- Assist with budget tracking, reimbursements, and financial reports
- Prepare briefs and literature reviews to be used for proposal narratives
- Assist in the preparation of public events and private meetings
- Attend local events on relevant issues and provide readout to team members
- Other related duties as assigned
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position.
- This is a paid internship.
- Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all background to apply. Diverse backgrounds relevant to the countries in which we have programming are a welcome asset.
- Staff members are currently working remotely or partially remotely due to Covid-19, and Freedom House is continuing to evaluate when and under what circumstances staff will return to the office. This position will be completely or partially remote.
- Candidates must possess long-term authorization to work in the United States. Freedom House will not sponsor work visas.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors, In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position with Freedom House, please call 202-227-4308 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply