Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supply Chain Manager, Humanitarian
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- This role will support Plan International Nigeria Humanitarian response in Maiduguri to, ensure Admin, Logistics and Procurement activities are in line with organisational and project objectives and donors’ expectations and guidelines.
- The Humanitarian Supply Chain Manager will ensure effective Administrative, Procurement, Supply Chain Planning and implementation of Plan Nigeria’s response to enable on-time delivery at value for money of all procurement for which Plan International is responsible.
- S/he will lead in the management of all project administrative documentation, ensuring that all Procurements are managed and reports are coordinated either through direct procurement or through donor procurement agents.
- S/he will be accountable for the effectiveness of the Humanitarian Supply Chain team, ensuring on-time delivery of goods and services and not stock outs, providing capacity building and conducting Procurement planning as required.
Dimensions of the Role
- The Humanitarian Supply Chain Manager is responsible for supporting the existing operations team for the Humanitarian Response logistics planning and implementation of Plan Nigeria’s response.
- Whilst the responsibilities below cover the main aspects of the role, this may change due to the evolving situation and it is not limited to all listed below.
- Provide functional leadership and support for Supply Chain – Logistics and Procurement, including the assessment, design, start-up, budget management, procurement planning and implementation of supply chain activities for multiple projects.
- Lead and/or oversee procurement & logistics activities including the identification of local sourcing options, liaising with CO for international sources, management of downstream supply pipeline, contracting of goods, services and works suppliers, providing assurance, implementation and appropriate controls in line with Plan’s Operations Manual.
- Providing high quality technical input in project operational planning, enabling fast and effective delivery to meet humanitarian needs, as well as ensuring that they are in line with donor guidelines and operations manual regarding implementation and reporting.
- Provide oversight and direction to inventory and warehouse management across multiple projects including GIK management, managing contingency stock if and the receipt of donations from donors.
- Oversight fleet management and transport operations for the response, working closely with CO’s Supply Chain Coordinator to identify needs, acquire and utilise a variety of modes to meet the emergency & humanitarian response requirements needs safely and effectively.
- Coordinate asset management for all response assets including; donor liaison, disposal plans asset verification, and compliant purchasing.
- Responsible for setting up of office and staff accommodation, oversee running of office/ offices as well as accommodation.
- Coordinate distributions with other team members, including multi-partner planning, site set up, security, local authority liaison, and material resource planning considering appropriate modalities to meet beneficiary needs.
- Provide oversight function on the flight operations for UNHAS and Commercial to staff.
- Ensure Humanitarian Supply Chain unit staffs have completed the performance objectives.
- Conduct a capacity assessment for Humanitarian Supply Chain staff and prepare a capacity building plan in consultation with Emergency Response Manager
Review and Documentation:
- Ensure a proper filing system for Supply Chain – procurement and logistics-related documents (electronic and hard copy) and relevant monthly quarterly report submissions.
- Undertake periodical review of documents to ensure PLAN Nigeria meet the internal and external (mainly donor) requirement.
- Collaboration with other response team members, and interact with other Plan entities including RH, GH and National Organisations as required
- Represent Plan in logistics coordination meetings and ensure coordination with partners, local authorities, UN/INGOs including ensuring Logistics Cluster engagement and coordination if and when there is cluster activation
- Work with Safety and Security Manager on infrastructure including selection, training and management of security staff and delegation of responsibilities for locking and material releases.
- Work closely with the Security Officer on staff movement, vehicle allocation and distribution planning.
- As required, you may also be asked to oversee or perform duties relating to it, comms (vhf, hf and sat phones), customs, importation and government liaison and supporting and working with local partners.
Technical Expertise, Skills And Knowledge
- Educated at a Bachelor’s level in relevant discipline or equivalent professional experience
- 5 years’ experience of leading a team in supply chain function(s) in a Humanitarian set up
- Experience in start-ups and implementation of donor grant projects, good knowledge of donor rules and regulations across humanitarian Admin and Logistics functions.
- Technical background across all aspects of logistics and supply chain management, including, office management, warehousing, Asset, fleet management, accommodation, contract management and humanitarian distributions.
- Experience of contributing to market and needs assessments, contributing to emergency response and project plans.
- Strong knowledge of Goods Storage and Distribution Practices
- Working knowledge in contract negotiation and management.
- Hands-on leader who is a strong motivator.
- Strong proficiency with using MS Excel and data analytics
- Up to date knowledge of best practice using advanced inventory management tools.
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of PLAN. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN’s core values and humanitarian principles.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Able to be planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Plan policies and procedures, Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct. Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working internal and external relationships, and represent Plan in a professional and competent manner.
- Ability to work and provide effective leadership, equally comfortable working in leadership, management and hands-on roles in rapidly changing contexts.
- Knowledge and/or experience in supply chain delivery, including working with local partners.
- Knowledge in working with markets and cash-based delivery would be an advantage.
- Demonstrable understanding of, and commitment to, equal opportunities, gender and diversity.
- Fluency in English written and spoken.
- Commitment to continuous learning; willing to update knowledge in Supply Chain.
Application Closing Date
20th March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Call for Roster – Procurement Officer (Goods & Services) – Consultant Level II, RBDakar at World Food Programme
- Call for Roster – Procurement Officer (Food Procurement) – Consultant Level II, RBDakar at World Food Programme
- Call for Roster – Supply Chain Officer (CBT Markets & Retail) – Consultant Level II, RBDakar at World Food Programme
- MOZAMBIQUE – SHELTER PM (M/F) – Mueda at Solidarités International
- CCCM (Camp Coordination Camp Management) Assistant – Afgoye & Hudur at ACTED