In August 2021 United Purpose and Self Help Africa merged at a Global Level. In Malawi the country programmes have merged together under one organogram and all Lilongwe core teams are working together in one office at Mwai House next to Anamwino House in City Centre.
The merger of United Purpose and Self Help Africa has given us a unique opportunity to create an organisation built on our shared values and ideals and one that draws on our collective experience, knowledge and skills to expand and improve our work across the countries we work in. This is never more evident than in Malawi as it is also the only country where both UP and SHA were already implemented.
Job Title: Systems Director
Based in: Lilongwe, Malawi
Job purpose: Overall leadership of the integration and management of the combined SHA and UP finance and wider operations support departments for the Malawi country programme (CP). The Systems Director will play a key leadership role, supporting the Country Director, on integration and management aspects overseeing finance, compliance, IT and logistics/procurement department leads.
Reports to: Country Director
- Lead on the integration of the finance teams across systems, policies, and procedures, including leading the roll out and adoption of PSF among teams
- Lead and oversee the annual audit process for both SHA and UP separate accounts
- Align financial management of the CP, ensuring compliance to internal and external reporting requirements
- Oversee and align the annual budget process and ensure efficient and prudent use of financial resources across the CP
- Drive the financial planning of the organisation by analysing its performance and risks.
- Prepare timely and detailed reports on financial performance on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
Systems and IT
- Oversee the roll out of new IT accounting and procurement software systems in line with global IT platforms. This will involve full integration of systems in the areas of accounting (transition from sage to PSF) and procurement
- Oversee all contract management in line with aligned policies and processes
- Ensure tax compliance in country
- Build a strong operations team and ensure that each department head is leading an integrated and strong department
- Lead the review and finalisation of all aligned in country operational reporting processes and procedures
- Lead the review and finalisation of all aligned department in country policies
Safety and Security
- Lead the quarterly risk review process
- Ensure security policies are in place for the Malawi CP and updated regularly
- Ensure security is embedded in CP operations across programmes and systems
Logistics/ Procurement / Assets Management
- The Director would be responsible for overseeing the rolling out a new global procurement and logistics and procurement policy and processes
- Oversee the adoption of a new e procurement system across the organisation
- Engage with the NGO Board on registration and compliance
- Engage with MRA on all Tax related issues and compliance
- Represent the organisation on any operations INGO Forum sub-committees
- Qualified Accountant + minimum of 18 years practical experience
- Minimum 10 years’ experience operating at senior finance level
- Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field is required. CPA, ACCA, ACA, ICAN, CIMA, CFE or any other relevant professional certification/qualification
- Experience overseeing a finance team that deal with a significant number of donor/ institutional funded projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, depth and breadth of financial management expertise
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with NGO partners and international donor agencies.
- Is well-versed in laws and regulations that have impact on budgets and financial analysis, general accounting, and management controls.
- Ability to work on financial problems of complex scope that require in depth evaluations of data and various factors
- Experience in overseeing multiple systems departments
- Track record of mentoring, inspiring and bringing people together and building new teams
- Experience overseeing large Country Programme budgets
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organisational and written skills
- Exceptional people management skills
- Experience with multiple financial management packages
- Fluency in spoken and written English
Please visit the link to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to email@example.com When submitting, please cite the position you are applying for in the subject title. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered. Please also ensure that the application is saved as per the following example: [your name]_systems director application. No hard copies / physical applications will be accepted.
Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is 12:00 Midnight of Friday, 10th June 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
United Purpose / SHA takes the safety and well-being of all those we work with, and our staff, very seriously. We have a zero-tolerance policy on abuse. Our recruitment is safe, meaning that we recruit staff with the highest values and standards of ethical behaviour. United Purpose/ SHA has a Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy, which reflects our commitment to protecting the people with whom we work. All candidates will be expected to comply with this policy and its procedures.
- Job City Malawi