Purpose of Position Setting
To provide a variety of secretarial/administrative work in support of project/programme activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
*Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective
To ensure that effective WHO country presence is established to implement Who country cooperation strategies that are aligned with Member State needs and development agendas, and harmonized with the United Nations country teams.
*Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment)
Under the direct supervision of the Admin. Officer, and the overall guidance of the Medical Officer,the incumbent is a team member in the administrative unit. Work is assigned by the supervisor who gives instructions on non-routine matters. Routine tasks are performed independently with some discretion in non-routine matters related to office procedures only.Established procedural and office guidelines are available, but where guidelines are incomplete, limited interpretation may be required to select a course of action on approach to work
*Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected)
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1.Receive, screen and process correspondence and requests, and follow upon implementation of all administrative actions, ensuring adherence to deadlines and timely response to correspondence and queries.
2.Type, ensuring correctness of language as well as format, and in accordance with WHO Style Guide, correspondence, reports, documents and presentations upon written/verbal instructions, and independently compose correspondence of purely routine administrative nature.
3.Make necessary arrangements regarding duty travel of staff in the unit, submit travel requests (TRs) in the Global Management System (GSM), arrange for flight and hotel reservations and deal with other related matters.
4. Type documents and presentations for preparation of meeting, workshops, training courses, etc., send invitation letters to participants, photocopy documents and prepare files; follow up with logistics units regarding arrangements. Provide secretarial support during meetings
.5.Screen and receive visitors and telephone calls, make appointments, answer queries of and/or redirect visitors and callers. Update and maintain records and reference files.
6.Submit different administrative transactions in GSM, including procurement of goods and services, and follow up with concerned parties for the receipt of deliverables and finalization of payments.
7. Replace other assistants within the department, as required.
Completion of secondary education supplemented by secretarial/administrative training.
University degree in business administration, social sciences or related field is an asset.
Professional experience and knowledge
At least three years of relevant secretarial/ administrative experience.
Relevant experience in the UN system
Essential: English – Somlai
Describe the core, management competencies required – See WHO competency model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences*
- Producing Results
- Knowing and managing yourself
Functional Knowledge and Skill
*Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position
- Good filing and organizational skills.-Ability to maintain good working relationships with national and international staff.-
Good knowledge of WHO rules, manuals, practices, procedures and WHO Style Guide as applicable to the secretarial level an asset.
How to apply
Your application should be sent to the below email address, please indicate the title of the position you have applied in the email subject by close of business Sunday 26 March 2023. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format) with your contact details.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Communication Adviser at Fondation Paul Gérin-Lajoie
- Coordinateur Services Support – Cameroun at Danish Refugee Council
- Logistics Coordinator at MENTOR Initiative
- Senior Sanitation Program Coordinator in Charge of the SAO-CWIS Project at African Water Association (AfWA)
- Project Officer at Associazione Volontari per il Servizio Internazionale