LIBERIA NATIONWIDE HEALTH SYSTEM CAPACITY ASSESSMENT:
POSITION: TEAM LEADER
Social Impact supports International Business Initiatives (IBI) to implement the USAID-funded Liberia Data, Evaluation, Learning and Technical Assistance (DELTA) with the goal of providing an innovative degree of analytical and advisory services to USAID/Liberia’s Office of Program and Project Development (PPD) and Development Objective (DO) teams in support of the Mission’s project design, performance monitoring and evaluation, and operational learning and adapting.
USAID/Liberia has engaged DELTA to support the conduct of a nationwide health system capacity assessment in Liberia’s 15 counties, including the central Ministry of Health units and the private health services. This assessment is intended to measure Liberia’s health system management, readiness, response capacities, and level of coordination and collaboration with the private sector. This follow-on assessment of the 2019 CHT assessment is being broadened in coverage and scope to include the simultaneous assessment of the CHT, Central Ministry and private health services, which aims to comprehensively inform health system issues and resulting capacity improvement interventions. The focus of this assessment is to:
- Provide the Ministry of Health and all stakeholders objective information on whether the health system has the basic competencies and management capacity (systems) necessary for proper and transparent management of public sector funds and health services and understanding of capacities in the private health services.
- Determine the extent to which these systems’ functions are fully operational as it is directly tied to the capacity of the Ministry of Health (MoH) to deliver effective health services, increase the quality of care, and harmonize data through transparent public health management practices.
- Document challenges and lessons learned on the implementation of the Capacity Building Action Plans implemented by counties
- Support the Government of Liberia (GoL) de-concentration/decentralization efforts in the health sector which includes monitoring CHT performance in a standardized manner across Liberia’s 15 counties, identifying capacity-building needs of individual CHTs and Central MoH, and providing publicly accessible and transparent health system data on the use of GoL /donor funding for the Liberia health system.
DELTA will provide logistics support to a four-member team in each of Liberia fifteen counties. Each of the team will spend an average of seven (7) to 15 days in a county. In addition to the assessors, the assessment team will include a Team Leader and other specialized support team members to assist with specific details of the assessment.
The estimated start date will be August 15, 2022, through January 31, 2023. The estimated LOE for the Team Leader will be 55 days.
Candidates are reviewed on a rolling basis; early submission is recommended
The Team Leader will be responsible for leading the coordination and management of the assessment. Under the technical leadership of the DELTA Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), the Team Leader will be working alongside a designated Ministry of Health Focal Person While DELTA provides coordination and logistical leadership and technical support, the Team Leader shall work with the Ministry of Health technical Lead and the Core Team comprising of representation of MoH and its Partner institutions, providing technical guidance throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing of the assessment. Also, the Team Leader will consult with and facilitate input from all the assessment team members throughout the duration of the assessment.
- Lead and oversee the development of a detailed field work plan (including assessment tools, itinerary, draft list of health facilities to be visited, logistical preparations, Assessment domain focal persons per team, and sites visit protocol) and ensure all team members provide expertise and technical inputs.
- Conduct the desk review to inform tool design and lead the design and refinement of all assessment tools, and provide technical leadership and coordination oversight, working with MoH assessment component leaders for timely achievement of milestones related to tool design.
- Oversee planning and implementation of capacity development activities such as development of training modules, materials and guidelines; assessors and supervisors training and shall co-ordinate with MoH designated Technical Leader for timely achievement of capacity development milestones.
- In consultation with the Ministry of Health, oversee the planning and implementation of activities related to the automation of assessment tools and mock test,
- Coordinate with MoH to identify or vet local consultants to facilitate technical working sessions for the timely automation of tools and mock test and oversee the automation process to assure compliance with pre-define standards.
- Coordinate planning and overseeing the implementation of Central level assessment. This includes ensuring that logistical arrangements are done in timely manner consistent with needs informed by detailed implementation plan and coordinate scheduling and planning of key informant interview session. The Team Leader will consult with and facilitate input from all team members throughout the central level assessment.
- Coordinate and lead data analysis and report writing efforts and shall provide technical guidance and direction for the development and production of an enviable quality report in accordance with plans. Produce an overall report containing both qualitative, quantitative findings and recommendations as well as county specific reports and a synergy activity implementation report. The Team Leader shall develop and share a concept articulating plan for collaboration and technical approach to the report writing process.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of the In-brief and Out-brief to MoH, USAID/Liberia and other stakeholders as requested.
- Review and provide inputs on the fifteen county health assessment reports and on the private health care assessment report.
- Develop the draft and final consolidated assessment report with support from the team members
- Lead the planning and facilitation of learning events to share lessons learned and recommendation from implementation of the assessment.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise.
- Produce comprehensive progress reports, guidelines and standard operating procedures for the assessment, training modules, detail fieldwork plan, team organization, draft list of health facilities to visit, and site visit protocol.
- Consolidated activity report reflecting field assessment experiences including lessons learned, challenges, and recommendations.
- Comprehensive data analysis plan and coding workshop involving subject experts from MoH and collaborating partner institutions.
- Draft and final versions of consolidated national level MoH central level capacity, CHTs and private health service for each county.
- USAID pre & post briefings reports, summary in-and out-brief presentations, weekly status updates on workplan
- Minimum of ten years of experience in designing, implementing, managing and/or evaluating national and sub-national health systems.
- A Master’s degree in Health, Political science, Research, or a related field.
- Strong background in development/humanitarian assistance programs related to the health sector or conducting health governance-related analytical work.
- Must have significant experience conducting assessments with mixed-methods data.
- Prior experience conducting a health sector assessment in the West Africa region.
- Experience in designing and implementing a capacity-building program for the health sector.
- Experience in preparing persuasive, well-written technical reports and making verbal presentations, explaining issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong experience facilitating and providing leadership in collaborative and participatory research with government entities and with multiple stakeholders.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world. To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
How to apply
Please apply at: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers
- Associate Manager, Field Monitoring, MLE at Evidence Action
- Resources Management Officer at International Organization for Migration
- JPO – UNAIDS Programme Officer at UNAIDS
- Head of Resources Management at International Organization for Migration
- Programme Officer (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)) at International Organization for Migration