Locations : Accra, Ghana
Time type : Full time
Job requisition id : Requisition – 2022200537
FHI 360 is seeking a full-time Technical Advisor I (TAI) to lead FHI 360’s activities in Ghana under the Sexual Health and Reproductive Education (SHARE) program. SHARE is a five-year, multi-country CAD$36.69M program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). Designed as a gender-transformative, human-rights progressive sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) program, SHARE’s ultimate outcome is to increase the enjoyment of health-related human rights by adolescent girls and young women in Ghana, Mozambique and Uganda. SHARE will be implemented as a consortium led by Right To Play (RTP), in partnership with WaterAid, the Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE), and FHI 360. SHARE will leverage the four unique areas of expertise of the consortium members and technical partners – RTP’s Gender-Responsive Play-Based Learning approach, WaterAid’s expertise in WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), FAWE’s strong experience in advocacy and policy change, and FHI 360’s girl-focused health service and empowerment methods.
The TAI will lead and implement SHARE project activities in Ghana ensuring high-quality results and strong communication with FHI 360 HQ staff and consortium partners. The TAI will work with the SHARE country teams to implement and monitor project initiatives, collaborating across consortium partners. S/he will be tasked with adapting global training materials and providing technical assistance to local community-based organizations to meet the project objectives. Technical assistance will be focused on provision of adolescent-centered and gender-responsive health information and services. The TAI will also support coordination of FHI 360-led research activities under the project and lead the country-level research utilization activities, working closely with FHI 360 HQ research and research utilization staff. The TAI should have a strong project management experience, a background in adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health (AYSRH), excellent communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to collaborate across a variety of partners.
- Provides technical leadership in AYSRH service delivery and research utilization for SHARE.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions, with some supervision.
- Collaborates with key internal personnel and consortium partners to meet SHARE project objectives.
- Leads the design, adaptation, development, planning, and implementation of innovative technical strategies, in collaboration with consortium partners.
- Ensures project implementation adheres to the project strategy and remains technically sound.
- Communicates with FHI 360 HQ staff and consortium partners on a regular basis ensuring deadlines and expectations are met and communicated clearly.
- Participates in and may lead consortium meetings, meetings with national stakeholders and community groups.
- Provides technical and contextual input into and helps coordinate research activities carried out under the project.
- Prepares reports and technical briefs summarizing project results.
- Monitors the budget ensuring accuracy and accountability.
- Develops and monitors work plans.
Project Design and Implementation:
- With technical oversight, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity- building of specific technical components of projects
- Leads technical portion of the country-level project plan, within the given resource and financial constraints
- Leads the day to day technical and operational activities of assigned projects
- Tracks delivery of project outputs
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with consortium partners and HQ staff.
- Ensures technical implementation is consistent with best practices in AYSRH and meet client / funder contractual obligations
- May supervise junior technical staff members, sub-contractors, and others implementing technical project work
- Functions at the advisor capacity with oversight of technical project administrative and finance compliance, technical deliverables, and team management. (Includes projects and consultants)
- Drafts financial and technical reports.
- Helps in the development and review of annual SHARE work plans.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with implementing reproductive health and/or adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health projects
- Experience with adapting and/or developing and delivering trainings in health care settings, preferably related to AYSRH and SGBV (sexual/gender-based violence).
- Demonstrated experience in working with and providing training for CHWs, VHTs, health providers and other community health stakeholders.
- Experience managing sub-awards and/or relations with CBOs/NGOs to deliver results towards project implementation goals.
- Strong understanding of research utilization strategies and proven ability to implement activities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate and communicate in a clear, positive fashion with consortium partners and key stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated program/project management skills. Ability to influence and collaborate with others.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite and on-line search tools required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors and prepare reports. Ability to problem solve and implements corrective action as needed.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English at an advanced professional level.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require analysis and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Communicates with HQ and in-country project team regularly
- Serves as country team lead and may supervise other lower-level personnel.
- Will report to the FHI 360 SHARE Project Director, working closely with the SHARE HQ technical team. Will represent the project for FHI 360 in Ghana and liaise with FHI 360 country office leadership.
- Monitors process, progress and results. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- Typically requires 8+ years of relevant experience in technical implementation of large projects and/or programs – may manage activities of lower-level staff, however, main function is individual contributor.
- Documented experience providing technical assistance, capacity building and business development in AYSRH and/or reproductive/sexual health.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private organization.
- International or Domestic (US) Program Development or Program management preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
Technology to be Used :
Personal Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype/TEAMS, e- mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
10% – 25%
**Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job. This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package , professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.