The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor
Vacancy No: 029
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Green Innovation Centre for the Agriculture Programme
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation forsustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
- GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020)
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
- The Special Initiative One World No Hunger has been launched 2014 by the Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development BMZ with the objective to increase food security and combat poverty.
- Under the Special Initiative, the Global Programme Green Innovation Centre for the Agriculture and Food Sector (GIAE) aims to increase the productivity and income of smallholders by promoting the market-oriented development of agricultural value chains.
- The Global Programme places focus on the identification and fostering of innovations, dissemination of know-how and technology solutions and skills upgrading. The Nigeria Country module has operations in 7 states (Benue, Nassarawa, Kaduna, Kano, Ogun, Oyo, Plateau) with a target group of 200,000 farmers plus producer organizations, processing companies and input suppliers.
- The contractor is responsible for implementation of large-scale trainings to farmers, the capacity development of up and down-stream companies and inclusive business linkages with farmers. GIZ coordinates these operations with the contractor team, provides equipment and supports the improvement of frame conditions for value chain upgrading and learning processes / exposure for partners in Germany and other countries.
- The Technical Advisor will in conjunction with the rest of the GIZ GIAE team support the Project Coordinator in the coordination of the programme’s activities with the implementing consulting firm (AFC), other GIZ programmes in Nigeria, GIZ Country Office and Headquarters as well as GIAE partners such as the Federal/State Governments, other international organizations, and the private sector.
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator the Technical Advisor will:
- Support the project coordinator in overseeing the technical implementation of programme activities
- Conduct specific tasks in connection to market oriented agricultural value chain development
- Provide technical support for improving the inclusive business services within the agricultural value chains.
- Support technical implementation of programme activities
- Assists with overall planning, coordinating and implementation of programme activities
- Provide technical support on agriculture practices across the four value chains of project activities with specific emphasis on technical advice for one of the value chains
- Support the development and review of training materials for trainers
- Coordinate local consultancies and procurements as part of the project activities in the four value chains with specific focus on entrepreneurship, business and organisational development.
- Ensure effective implementation and provide technical guidance in close cooperation with AFC
- Provide input to project monitoring and evaluation methodology and design
- Market oriented agricultural value chain development
- Contribute to the development and coordination of project approaches that link smallholder farmers to market and companies.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of services that will deliver appropriate improvement in the value chains especially with respect to mechanization of agriculture and agro-processing
- Assist in monitoring and evaluating the project value chains approaches in order to decide on the most impactful in the project interventions to either upscale them or promote new ones
- Inclusive business services
- Assist in optimizing and facilitating inclusive business models being implemented by the project
- Research and gather information on business opportunities as it relates to value chain development across the four value chains of project activities
- Liaise with private sector partners in developing inclusive business models that will enhance smallholder farmers’ productivity and income.
- Write reports and develop presentation documents
- Assist in reviewing reports from local and international consultants
- Assist in quality assurance of training and communication material
- Assist in Ensuring synergies with other technical projects both within GIZ and other donors in Nigeria
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Project Coordinator.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Agronomist, Agricultural Economics, or related field.
- At least 5 years of professional working experience in a similar position
- Broad experience in the promotion of agriculture value chains through integrated approaches in capacity development and business development in the agricultural sector
- Experience in planning, monitoring and evaluation in the agricultural sector is an added advantage.
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate adequately with interdisciplinary/multiinstitutional teams (units/research organizations, NGOs and Governmental agencies, farmers, their organizations, and donors)
- Team player and constructive attitude responding positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Advanced working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Developed attitude and awareness of service delivery
- Personal Integrity and accountability
- Positive, collaborative and constructive attitude to people and work.
- Composed and good humoured even under pressure.
- Open to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Knowledge of local Nigerian languages is an asset.
According to GIZ Nigeria Salary scale for Band 4.
Application Closing Date
24th March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using the vacancy no. (029)” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.