Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor – Gender-Based Violence
- The purpose of this role is to provide strategic and operational advice and support for all Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) related activities, projects, team members and partners in the technical delivery of all GESI components of Nigeria For Women Project (NFWP), Federal Project Coordination Unit (FPCU) and the State Project Coordination Units (SPCUs) interventions on Gender Based Violence (GBV) in Abuja with travel to states of Abia, Ogun, Kebbi, Niger, Akwa Ibom and Taraba.
- The Gender-Based Violence Advisor is expected to provide strategic leadership in GESI programs and will be responsible for the quality and effectiveness of Plan International’s component of the NFW Project. The Gender-Based Violence Advisor strengthens the project’s overall capacity to be prepared for and respond to GESI programs in accordance with Plan’s principles and practices.
Dimensions of the Role
- Support the development, implementation and periodic review of all GESI components of the project, including engagement with broad range of project stakeholders.
- Provide technical leadership to Project Manager and team implementing GSEI Programmes.
- Lead the development and disseminating all GESI related strategies; develop, lead and manage quality program design; and develop and testing tools that can be used in the field.
- Contribute to also improve operational systems, internal capacity building (including mentoring staff trained in research that are GESI related.
- Lead on the development and implementation of all GESI training activities on the project, ensuring the highest quality of standard.
- Engagement of all the target beneficiaries on prevention of Gender-Based Violence.
- Develop a knowledge base of the target beneficiaries on gender orientation, prevention of gender-based violence, discrimination, oppression and all forms of abuse based on gender role in society through research, provision of technical support and training as required. The training will also include strategies for women’s mobilization to participate in community development, conforming of activities to gender needs, with consideration to people with disability and special needs.
- Provide input for weekly and monthly activities.
- Respect the rights and dignity of the people while representing Plan International in the community.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with stakeholders (traditional leaders, religious leaders, government officials and other actors) in adjacent communities.
- Support in follow up of activities and respond to feedback from the beneficiaries.
- Network with other agencies, UN bodies, donors and other critical stakeholders whilst also working closely with other members of development teams to advance children, adolescent and youth rights (especially for girls).
- Contribute to project research and support Monitoring and Evaluation processes.
- Work with the Project Manager to regularly develop and disseminate knowledge management materials.
- Support the Project Manager to identify and celebrate campaign and event days related to GESI.
- Participate in the joint monitoring of the GESI initiatives with Government and other partners.
- Work with GESI Project Officers to ensure community structures have the requisite technical GESI knowledge.
- Provide technical insights in the development of curricula, advocacy and community mobilization strategies, including IEC materials and radio messages to ensure service delivery issues are captured.
- Support Country Office Gender and Social Inclusion Manager in identifying, disseminate and address gender barriers to GESI programming outcomes.
- Ensure the principle of safety and confidentiality of beneficiaries’ data.
- Provide technical support to partner activities to ensure consistency with GESI objectives.
- Contribute to the technical report writing under the coordination of the Project Manager.
- Support regular advocacies to local stakeholders to improve and sustain project buy-in and operations.
- Support the establishment and maintenance of good working relationship with the relevant State actors, local government authorities and other stakeholders.
Technical expertise, Skills and Knowledge:
Qualifications and Experience:
- 4-6 years’ experience providing technical support to GESI-related projects in Nigeria
- University Education in Social sciences or Development Study related course. An advanced Degree such as MPhil, or MSc in related field will be an added advantage.
- Experience working in development /humanitarian projects funded by bilateral /multi donors will be a plus.
- Experience in utilizing gender equality and social inclusion methodologies in communities will be a plus.
- A history of productive involvement with local partners, including from government, traditional leadership, and civil society
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in community mobilization and engagement on GESI related projects.
- Demonstrated Knowledge in gender transformative programming
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate
- Experience working with multiple donors
- Experience drafting /contributing to project reporting and monitoring project progress
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Knowledge of local Nigerian language(s) preferred but not required
Skills & Knowledge:
- Basic financial and administrative skills
- Communicates clearly and effectively appropriate to the audience
- Possession of good report writing skills
- Passion for learning and development.
- Good computer literacy skills.
- Team player
- Provides good and adequate administrative support to enable the project meet its agreed program outcomes.
- Demonstrate awareness and sensitivity of yourself and others, able to make complex decisions whilst working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-national team under difficult circumstances and ability to work with trustworthiness and integrity and have a clear commitment to Plan International Nigeria’s core values.
- Resilient and flexible individual who has demonstrable experience in working in GESI or with children in development and humanitarian settings or fragile contexts.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
Application Closing Date
18th May, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Technical Advisor – Institutional Capacity Building at Plan International
- Technical Advisor – Livelihood (Agricultural and Non-agricultural) at Plan International
- EOI – Senior Drupal Developer (TCIS) at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – 2 Openings
- Nutrition Facilitators for Feed the Future Rural Resiliance Activity (RRA) Program at Mercy Corps Nigeria (14 Openings)
- Mali–Coordinateur EHA /Co-facilitateur cluster EHA (H/F)–Bamako at Solidarités International