Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The overall goal of the upcoming Strengthening Accountability in Ghana’s Education Systems activity is to strengthen the accountability of the Ministry of Education (MoE) and its agencies and School Management Committees (SMCs) for improved education services and outcomes, using a behavioral science approach.
The Technical Advisor provides overall technical oversight and guidance to the activity’s support to improved reading instruction, including reading standards, benchmarks, curricula, and assessment systems. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic individual with demonstrated knowledge of primary education sector work, adaptive pedagogy, early grade learning approaches for reading, experience working with government specialists in the development of training modules, assessment, and supplementary materials, and will possess the ability to respectfully collaborate with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Ghanaian nationals are encouraged to apply.
The candidate for the position of Technical Advisor shall have at a minimum the following qualifications: Education:
Master’s Degree in education with a specialty in early grade reading or another pedagogically-oriented specialty is required.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of demonstrated relevant technical expertise;
- Demonstrates increased responsibilities in leading and managing technical teams;
- Proven technical expertise and knowledge of international evidence-based approaches to improved literacy outcomes and systems strengthening to support Early Grade Literacy;
- Experience in building accountability and improved educational outcomes through School Management Committee and other community-based structures preferred;
- Experience in teacher professional development, curriculum and materials development, using technology to support instruction and learning, and/or instructional leadership development;
- Understanding of and experience with best practices in disability inclusive and gender-responsive pedagogy; Universal Design for Learning; and social emotional learning;
- Experience in a collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA)-focused management environment; and
- Prior work experience in Ghana and demonstrated knowledge of Ghana Education System preferred.
Fluency in English is required.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.