Posting Title: Technical Expert, Circular Economy
Department/Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Duty Station: NAIROBI
Posting Period: 06 April 2022 – 21 April 2022
Job Opening Number: 22-United Nations Human Settlements Programme-178048-Consultant
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of ServiceThe circular economy technical expert is expected to support the project team in the implementation of SDG12 Resource Efficient Housing Programme and CiCoSA, which is a waste wise approach to sustainable building and construction in Sub-Saharan Africa
Work LocationHome Based
Expected duration6 Months
INTRODUCTION: UN-Habitat, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme, is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate and affordable housing for all. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector, to help build, manage, plan and finance sustainable urban development.
UN-Habitat, through the Land Housing and Shelter section (LHSS), supports New Urban Agenda partners and governments at all levels in formulating and implementing progressive housing sector reforms, policies, programmes and legislation which contribute to the creation of inclusive and sustainable cities, and comply with international law relating to the right to adequate housing.
UN-Habitat assists governments to formulate and implement policies and strategies designed to maximize the impact of housing in national socio-economic development and employment generation, as well as in sustainable urban development. It helps with in-depth local diagnosis of the state of the housing sector and provides technical support to the formulation of sustainable housing and construction sector related policies and programmes, as well as subsequent implementation strategies.
UN-Habitat, through the Land Housing and Shelter Section is currently engaged in the following activities under the theme of sustainable housing, constructions, and the circular economy.
1. SDG12 Resource Efficient Housing Programme
2. CiCoSA: A waste wise approach to sustainable building and construction in Sub-Saharan Africa
RESPONSIBILITIES: The consultant will support the Programme Manager within the Land Housing and Shelter section with the following responsibilities.
- Conduct research, prepare analytical reports, background notes, as well as present information gathered from diverse sources in a succinct and coherent way.
- Provide technical analysis on circular economy and the built environment, construction materials, and the housing sector.
- Assess the investment value in sustainable buildings and construction, with an emphasis on circularity, construction materials, and the housing sector.
- Analyze and extract data to create figures, charts, and visualizations’ that can illustrate the project activities and findings.
- Prepare and participate in periodic coordination meetings with the project teams.
- Participate in workshops, seminars, meetings, and other events related to the project´s objectives and provide support in their organization, including preparation of Terms of Reference, Procurement Processes, and other logistical aspects.
- Follow and implement the programme workplan and specific activities for each project component.
Qualifications/special skillsAcademic Qualifications: An advanced university degree (masters or similar) in engineering, material science, environment-related science, economics, or related field is required. A first level degree with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
Experience: A minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience is required.
A combination of experience in circular economy with an understanding of sustainability within the built environment is required.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this position, excellent proficiency in spoken and written English is required.
No FeeTHE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.