Position: Technical Experts for the Kenya Feed the Future (FtF) Private Sector Activity
Chemonics International, a Washington D.C.-based international development organization, seeks long-term and short-term technical experts for the anticipated USAID- funded Feed the Future (FtF) Private Sector Activity in Kenya. This activity supports the commitments of the USAID-funded Kenya Investment Mechanism (KIM), and the Kenya Crops and Dairy Market Systems (KCDMS). The $25-50 million project will aim to accelerate agriculture-led growth in Kenya through partnerships with larger agricultural sector firms and job creation across the FtF footprint to increase sales and exports through a sustainable and locally led vehicle. The activity would combine tools used in USAID’s traditional private-sector development activities with tools used to mobilize finance and investment into one mechanism-supporting a range of agricultural firms to expand investments and operations via a blended finance approach.
We are seeking individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world. We are looking for both short- and long-term technical experts in the following fields: Financial Management and Investment, Agriculture Market Systems (Development and Transformation), and CLA and MEL Knowledge Systems & Management.
Key Responsibilities for each position are below.
Financial Management and Investment Experts
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of a blended finance strategy to support business growth and increase access to finance in the agriculture sector.
- Support financial institutions and investors to develop new financing solutions and products for agricultural firms and build capacity of lenders to structure financial products and transactions for agriculture SMEs.
- Strengthen the capacity of local business advisory service (BAS) providers to assist agricultural SMEs to negotiate and complete financing transactions.
- Enable agricultural firms to access finance and investment to expand their operations, develop new products, and reach new customers.
- Work closely with the monitoring and evaluation team to ensure adequate monitoring and recording of investment deals.
Agriculture Market Systems Development and Transformation Experts
- Support agriculture firms to develop robust out-grower schemes with smallholder farmers to increase agriculture sector sales and exports.
- Co-develop processes and structures with and facilitate linkages among agriculture market actors to reach new buyers and access new markets (domestic and export).
- Strengthen the sustainability and inclusivity of the agriculture market system. Identify gaps, barriers, and challenges that impede progress.
- Monitor environmental challenges and considerations like climate change, emerging/strong crop markets, pests and infestations.
CLA and MEL Knowledge Systems & Management Experts
- Lead activity learning, contribute to industry conversations, communicate successes and failures to inform investment.
- Master’s degree in relevant field preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in and knowledge of Kenyan agriculture markets and private sector strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English with excellent oral and written communication skills required; proficiency in Kiswahili preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working closely with and supporting governments.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
How to apply
Please apply by using this link. Prioritizing applications received by May 19, 2023. Applications will continue through June 02, 2023. Kenya and EAC national applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
COVID-19 Recruitment Information
Chemonics International is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world. The health and wellbeing of our staff is of the utmost importance to us, and we continue to hire for all open roles with interviewing and on-boarding done virtually.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Consultancy For Endline Evaluation of the Drought Emergency Response for Food and Nutrition Security (DERF) project in Marsabit, Turkana and Samburu
- Communications Coordinator at ADD International
- Stage Sensibilité aux Conflits, Mali at Interpeace
- Associate, Programs at Search for Common Ground
- Regional Health & Nutrition Senior Advisor at World Vision