TITLE: Temporary Intake Counsellor
DEPARTMENT: Legal Protection Department
SUPERVISOR: Resettlement Coordinator
START DATE: 10th August 2022
END DATE: 9th January 2022
HIAS seeks to recruit a temporary Intake Counsellor; the incumbent will be expected to contribute towards meeting the departmental goals, aimed at promoting resettlement as a durable solution for the most at risk refugee populations*.*
· Prepare individual comprehensive physical case files for clients, complete intake forms and ensure proper filing of individual case files for resettlement consideration
· Reporting to the Resettlement officer on progress of set indicators on a bi weekly basis
· Conduct individual counselling to clients on the HIAS internal resettlement process and HIAS anti-fraud policy
· Attend case counselling sessions for individual clients with the aim of providing clients with timely and accurate feedback on the status of their cases
· Facilitate and participate in trainings on resettlement and anti-fraud, including but not limited to preparing training materials and conducting research
· Prepare Resettlement Referral Forms and send to the Resettlement Officer for review
· Conduct follow up for cases referred to external referral partners and provide timely updates on the status of the follow ups
· Drafting court documents
· Preparation of project reports
· Fill in the various resettlement forms
· Maintain a database and an individual case management strategy for cases under resettlement consideration
· Assist in the development of Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials on anti-fraud and resettlement case processing
· Perform other duties as and when required
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
· University Degree in Law, (Those in final year of study are also eligible)
· Proficiency in English and Swahili
· Computer literacy a must – knowledge of MS Office required;
· Strong advocacy, research, capacity building, legal drafting and report writing skills;
· Strong coordination, communication and interpersonal skills;
· Knowledge in AAP
· Knowledge in PSEA
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills required or permanent location. Location is subject to change based on programmatic needs. Flexibility is essential as we grow and develop. The successful candidate must be comfortable in a fast-paced, changing work environment with many crucial deadlines. All team members may be required to perform duties outside of their normal work hours of responsibilities as needed.
SAMPLE HIRING PROCESS:
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a Human Resources staff person. Step 3: Interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Interview with a panel of HIAS employees. Step 5: Reference check.
Step 6: Offer and background check.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • אורחיםהכנסת(Hachnasat Orchim)
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • צדק(Tzedek)
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • חסד(Chesed)
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • חברותא(Chevruta)
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • אומץ(Ometz)
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • רוח(Ruach)
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation, or other legally protected status.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume through the link Temporary Intake Counsellor – Careers At HIAS Inc. (hrmdirect.com) quoting the position title: Temporary Intake Counsellor on the subject. Indicate your salary expectation as well.
Closing Date: 31th May 2022
Important: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HRTK is an equal opportunity employer, does not charge candidates for recruitment and dissociates itself from any entity defrauding candidates