Reference Number HIHEA/028-2022/OP Reports to: Head of Programs Location of project: Mombasa County Type of contract: Labor Contract Languages required: English Period of implementation 3 months Type of selection Firm Selection
1. Introduction Hand in Hand Eastern Africa (HiH EA) is a registered NGO in Kenya and Tanzania and is part of the Hand in Hand global network. The organization started operations in Kenya in October 2010 and is currently operating in 23 Field offices within 33 out of 47 Counties in Kenya. HiH EA has so far mobilised, trained and is training over 300,000 members (80% women, 40% youth) who have created over 296,000 enterprises (30% eco-enterprises) and over 400,000 jobs on the Kenyan programme.
The organization works with marginalized communities to facilitate them to build sustainable enterprises as a path way out of poverty. The Hand in Hand enterprise and job creation approach is based on a philosophy of self-help, providing training, skills and support to enable people living in poverty, particularly women, to build and sustain independent, market-based, economic activities. This provides for a higher level of income for them and their families, which in turn contributes to greater food security, better education for children, increased access to healthcare, improved housing and overall improved livelihoods.
The intervention is based on a business model tried and tested approach to job creation of four interlinked components • Social mobilisation • Business training • Access to credit • Linking entrepreneurs to markets
Project Introduction HIH EA is implementing a waste management project in Mombasa County dubbed “The Waves of Change project” whose main objective is to minimise plastic pollution especially towards the Indian Ocean through preventive measures. The project has three outcomes as illustrated below.
- Reduce plastic waste at sea and on land, through preventive measures and improved plastic and waste management processes;
- Create green, profitable small businesses, which increase household income by promoting a circular economy with a focus on plastics; 3.Identify and share local solutions to the global and borderless plastic challenge through learning and exchanges of experience between authorities, companies, academia, civil society and individuals in Sweden, Kenya and India.
Through a Framework of Cooperation, HiH EA in collaboration with other partners plans to construct and operationalize a waste recycling centre in Shonda, Likoni Sub County, Mombasa County. The recycling centre is intended to achieve the following: • Act as waste value addition site especially of plastic nature through baling and shredding. • Be an aggregation centre for bulk plastic material before selling. • Promote community led initiative in waste management within Mombasa County. • Act as a centre of excellence in best practices of waste management. • Complement other initiatives of sustainable waste management such as the County`s Material Recovery Facility.
Scope of work It is in this regard that HiH EA intends to contract a labor contractor to oversee establishment of the recycling centre through the construction phase. The specific roles of the contractor are as follows:
- Provide a work plan for the construction phase with clear timelines.
- Oversee prudent utilization of construction materials provided to the site.
- Provide and take charge of labour (man power) including timely payments of casual labourers at the site.
- Make sure safety measures are in place to avoid or minimise incidences of accidents.
- Provide periodic update on the progress of the construction.
- Provide all required equipment/ tools for the assignment.
Requirements and Qualifications i. National Construction Authority certification. ii. Authorization and construction licenses from any other relevant authorities. iii. Proven ability through construction of similar centers or related assignments. iv. Provide Details of similar assignments undertaken in last three years including the following information: Scope of Project, Outcome of Project, Reference / Contact persons v. At least 7 years of experience in the construction industry.
- All materials will be provided, should not be included in this proposal.
- Construction designs will be provided, see annexures
Timelines and Deliverables. It is expected that this project will be completed within 2 calendar months from the Start Date plus 1 months Defects Liability Period (DLP). The timely completion of these construction Works is of utmost importance for HIHEA and all the other partners that we are working with. Hence, it is important to measure number of labors that will be allocated on this project as to maintain timeliness works completion. HIHEA will issue partial and final payments upon satisfactory completion of each Deliverable.
A completed recycling center as per the provided construction designs being the final deliverable. • Annexures. • Construction designs. • Bill of Quantities.
How to apply
Submission of proposals Interested construction firms must submit a construction proposal specifying technical and financial information. The technical proposal to also summarize the understanding of the TOR and details of how the contractor plans to execute the assignment submitted via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 3rd June 2022.
For more information about Hand in Hand Eastern Africa please visit our website www.handinhandea.org
HIH EA does NOT condone any form of corrupt practices. Please report complaints via toll free number 0800721347