TOR: Social media manager, moderator for Big Sis & Springster (Long Term Consultancy)
Who We Are
We’re a global creative non-profit combining expertise in media, mobile, brand and international development, a unique mix of skills we use to solve global problems in a new way. Started by the Nike Foundation in 2004, we’re now an independent organization working from nine global locations in more than 50 countries where girls are marginalized and vulnerable, focused on Africa and Asia.
We use our in-depth understanding of girls’ real needs so that they are enabled to make choices about their health, education, and economic future. We use multiple touchpoints for branded story-telling and participation that millions of girls, and boys, love and interact with – from apps that build skills to TV dramas that explore vital issues to magazines written and distributed by girls.
We help girls change their lives by tackling social, cultural and gender norms – leveraging digital technologies to create change through creative content that engages and entertains audiences – designed to change and shift attitudes, knowledge and behaviors in tangible, measurable ways.
Our work is supported and funded by a wide range of people and organizations, from governments and philanthropists to NGOs and corporates. Recent examples include GAVI (The Vaccine Alliance), Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Facebook, UNICEF, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), Vodafone Foundation, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), Nutrition International, and United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
Springster is Girl Effect’s global digital brand that equips girls with the knowledge and confidence they need to navigate the complex world in which they live- powering them to make choices that change their lives. It achieves this through an online ecosystem of content and conversation channels (Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp & website).
More than ten million users have so far engaged with Springster. Part of its success has been its focus on entertaining and engaging content. The best-performing content highlights the stories that defy convention, usually written in the first person and creates a strong emotional connection with the reader. Springster is available in over 50 countries, but our 6 priority countries are Indonesia, South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Kenya and DRC.
In 2018 Springster began testing and building a chatbot as an innovative means to reach girls. Towards this end, leveraging Artificial Intelligence, we created a “digital big sister” to give girls a safe, private, non-judgemental and accurate source for information on topics they don’t feel comfortable discussing elsewhere.
Big Sis, an AI-powered chatbot launched under the Springster brand in South Africa in May 2020, focusing on SRH and relationships and received an overwhelmingly positive response. Now in its fourth year of iteration Big Sis will focus on mental health literacy and wellbeing.
As social media is at the core of Springster & Big Sis’s strategy, this Manager will lead on social media coordination, management and moderation of Springster & Big Sis’s campaigns and products.
The Social Media Manager will work closely with our content, safeguarding, and tech teams to ensure the brand and products continue to reach girls and keep girls safe on our channels.
- Work on monitoring audience engagement, reporting back to the Springster team and suggesting ways of improving moderation to boost engagement while also ensuring we’re creating a safe and supportive environment
- Work with our safeguarding team to flag and resolve any disclosures of abuse or harm from our users; suggest ways our safeguarding processes could be streamlined and improved.
- Work with the content, gender and safeguarding team to manage and evolve a set of default or ‘canned’ responses to some of the most common questions we receive from girls on social, making sure that these responses are translated correctly; equip our moderators to know how to use them.
- The consultant will moderate incoming user comments on the Big Sis chatbot platform when safeguarding intervention is required (safeguarding flows triggered due to use of high-risk words) and signpost users to relevant helplines as per GE safeguarding guidelines.
Strategy & Content
- Work with a copywriter and marketing team to develop and deploy social media strategies that will grow engagement and visibility for Springster and Big Sis.
- Work with our writers and producers to conceptualise, create, deploy and monitor all social media campaigns across our priority markets and products.
- Work with our global marketing lead and the team to review paid media plans and guide social media buying strategy.
- Work with our copywriter(s) to manage social media calendars for Springster and ensure posts are going out according to schedule.
- Work closely with team coordinators, product managers, and producers to ensure the team is tracking activities and effectively resourcing work accordingly.
- Support in the procurement of new resources and work with finance to ensure suppliers are paid on time
- The assignment is expected to take approximately 6months to complete.
- The leading consultant will be expected to spend at least 14 hours each week with the platforms and liaison with the create team and other stakeholders.
- The consultant’s assignment period is from August 2022 to January 2023.
● Terms of reference published: July 14th 2022
● Questions/Clarification Deadline: July 19th 2022
● Deadline for responses: July 27th 2022
● Supplier selection, contracting and briefing: Early 2022
● Project commencement: End August 2022
Who You Are:
Skills and expertise:
- Minimum 4 years experience of relevant digital marketing with accounts that have had national or multi-regional scale and complex audience sets
- Graduate level proficiency in marketing, branding, design or creative writing
- Comfortable with numbers, digital data sets like spreadsheets
- Degree or relevant experience in digital marketing, business, and project management.
- Strong understanding of digital marketing and social media.
- Interest in working in a developing country context.
- Strong communication, writing, coordination and organizational skills.
- Great attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to remain flexible and find solutions to challenges.
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude.
- Ability to work collaboratively in multicultural teams.
- Commitment to realizing the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
Attitudes we are looking for:
- Comfortable with complex organizational structures and multiple stakeholders
- Comfortable with shared decision making
- A ‘do-er thinker’
- Enthusiastic about talking to and interacting with people across cultures and geographies – this role will require extensive conversations, presentations, documentation and fire-fighting
- Highly empathetic and context-sensitive – able to balance conflicting needs and priorities decisively
- Mission-driven and cares about making a difference in the lives of young people and vulnerable sections of society
Your proposal (Max 5 pages), should you be interested, should cover
- Your understanding of the brief and why you feel you are well placed to advise us on this
- Credentials –
- Please showcase any previous relevant work experience
- Detailed reference list indicating the scope and magnitude of similar assignments
- Relevant services undertaken in the past three (3) years
- Work plan for performing the task
- Timelines – Starting date, Key milestones and Reporting milestones
- A breakdown of the financial proposal in USD indicating the daily rate for each of the proposed experts, time input and all applicable reimbursable expenses
- All applicable taxes should be quoted separately;
Technical and Financial proposals will need to be submitted as separate documents. Financial bids will not be opened until the technical evaluation and only for those proposals deemed qualified and responsive.
GE is not liable for any cost incurred during the award/contract preparation, submission, or negotiation of the award/contract. All submitted documentation and/or materials shall become and remain the property of GE.
The VALIDITY of the proposal shall be for 90 days from the date of bid closure.
The criteria against which proposals will be evaluated are listed below.
- A well-written capability statement clearly outlines your experience in delivering the Scope of Work and how you meet the ‘Who You Are’ requirements above – 20%
- Demonstrates an understanding of the multiple geographies that we operate in – 15%
- Clear and Concise CV demonstrating relevant expertise – 30%
- Evidence of a minimum of three contactable references – 10%
- Demonstrates an appreciation of the operating constraints of an NGO, both from a scope of exercise perspective and financial proposal – 5%
- Monthly Financial Quote – 20%
When developing their proposals, applicants are advised to ensure that they clearly understand their tax position regarding local jurisdiction tax legislation provisions.
GE reserves the right to determine the structure of the process, the number of short-listed participants, the right to withdraw from the proposal process, the right to change this timetable at any time without notice and reserves the right to withdraw this tender at any time, without prior notice and without liability to compensate and/or reimburse any party. GE shall inform ONLY successful applicant(s). The process of negotiation and signing of the contract with the successful applicant(s) will follow.
You may be required to undertake safeguarding checks. Shortlisted consultants will be assessed on our organisational values at the interview stage. The successful consultant will be expected to adhere to our safeguarding policy. We encourage you to read and understand our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found at www.girleffect.org/safeguarding. We have zero-tolerance for all forms of violence against children, beneficiaries and staff.
Girl Effect Services is committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of and works extensively with the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to procuring consultancy service organizations and individuals with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
How to apply
How to Apply
Please submit proposals, as described above, to email@example.com by 27th July 2022, 5:00 pm EAT latest. Please clearly mark your email with the subject ‘Social Media Manager and Moderator.’