GOAL is an international humanitarian aid agency with operations in 14 countries in The Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. Last year it reached more than six million people in need in nutrition, health, livelihoods, and emergency response programmes.
GOAL in Turkey
GOAL has been implementing programmes in Turkey since 2016 and has an open-ended registration to operate in the country. In addition to over 85 dedicated program staff members based in our field offices in Mersin, Adana, Hatay, Gaziantep and Şanlıurfa, GOAL Turkey also benefits from administrative and operational supports provided by GOAL Syria Response Programme’s Turkey-based staff members in Ankara and Hatay.
GOAL Turkey benefits from strong relationships with key stakeholders within the country’s national refugee response framework and has established trust within targeted communities. Our contribution to the national refugee response in Turkey has focused on addressing gaps and responding to identified needs in health service delivery, and the protection of vulnerable and marginalized refugees in southern Turkey.
GOAL is currently implementing two projects (ECHO funded LINK and PRM funded GREEN) in Turkey. The LINK program targets refugees from nomadic / semi-nomadic backgrounds and those engaged in seasonal agricultural labour. LINK has been designed to address and mitigate protection concerns of the vulnerable / marginalized refugees through provision of critical information and raising their awareness on their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey, by sensitization/advocacy (targeting key stakeholders and service providers, etc.) activities, and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) services to enable highly vulnerable refugees to access to basic, social and protective services available under the provisions of Temporary and International Protection regulations in Turkey. The Green program aims to improve the socioeconomic inclusion, resilience and self-sufficiency of highly vulnerable/excluded women and girls from host and refugee communities (Syrians as well as those living in program locations under the international protection regulation) including nomadic communities and seasonal agriculture workers from both communities through integrated and market driven livelihood opportunities and protection services, including language courses and vocational skills training on greenhouse production and agriculture; case management (CM)/coaching services, establishment of a women cooperative, protection outreach, information provision and awareness raising; and provision of special needs and individual protection assistance services.
The position will be based in Gaziantep. Under the supervision of Protection Team Leader (PTL), the translator will be responsible to provide translation support to implement activities as per committed program activities and respective guidelines and SOPs.
Duties, Objectives, and Competencies
- Assure correct translation of official letters/documents.
- Edit and proof-read texts to accurately reflect language.
- Review translated material for the accuracy of meaning, grammar, and syntax.
- Assist management in translating/rephrasing documents from Arabic – English or/and to Turkish and vice versa in high quality; and using the humanitarian terminology in clear language understood by all parties involved while translating a written document.
- Perform efficient and accurate translation/interpretation during meetings, workshops, and professional conversations, etc., including one to one and group settings.
- Translating between Arabic and/or English-Turkish of each party in a consultation or conversation.
- Provide translation assistance to any member of the Protection Team, as requested.
- Accompany Syrian beneficiary to authorities, medical care, and other institutions they need to get into contact to. Translate for Syrian beneficiaries in different cases so they can understand and communicate.
- Convert written materials from one language into another such as concepts, brochures, web articles. Create a new text in the target language that reproduces to content and style of the original.
- Contribute to sensitization and advocacy activities, particularly with the organisation of advocacy meetings and gathering of community advisory committees and implementation of associated activities.
- Contribute to protection monitoring activities, particularly with data collection activities.
- Adapt a product or service for use in a different language and culture.
- Ensure impartiality, and confidentiality of beneficiaries, at all times.
- Ensure adherence to internationally recognized protection principles, standards, and relevant international and local regulations.
- Ensure adherence with GOAL’s code of conducts and other internal policies i.e., on confidentiality, safeguarding, equality, diversity, and inclusion including the GOAL’s commitments to the protection from sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- Ensure full compliance with the GOAL’s health and safety policy and all locally agreed safe methods of work.
- Any other duties related to the nature of the job as directed by the supervisor.
- Turkish Citizenship
- University degree or equivalent qualification in Linguistic or related fields.
- Excellent knowledge on Turkish, English, and Arabic languages both oral and written with the ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in Turkish, English, and Arabic.
- Minimum 2-4 years practical experience in Arabic and/or Turkish – English translation or teaching.
- Minimum 2 years’ work experience in NGO (in paid or voluntary capacity) preferably experience in Southeast of Turkey and/or with semi-nomadic groups or with those engaged in seasonal agricultural labour is an asset.
- Knowledge of the refugee / humanitarian context (Syrian and non-Syrian) in Turkey is a distinct advantage.
- Previous international personal or professional experience would be a plus.
- Understands rights and protection issues of refugees, children, and women.
- Experience in translating and proofreading.
- Reporting skills.
- Able to communicate to a range of individuals.
- Attention to details, good computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook at a minimum),
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy.
- Good communication and strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within different cultural environments in cooperation.
- Empathy for people facing difficult situations.
- Excellent working proficiency in Arabic and Turkish/English.
- Competence on other languages (Kurdish, Farsi etc.) is a distinct advantage.
“Please note that GOAL does not charge a fee of any kind or any other financial obligation at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, induction) or other fees, or request information on applicants’ bank accounts. GOAL does not work with intermediary institutions and individuals or employment agencies during the recruitment process. If any fee or payment is requested from you at the application or any stage of the recruitment process, please do not respond.”
GOAL’ün, işe alım sürecinin (başvuru, başvuruların işlenmesi, mülakat, eğitim, oryantasyon) hiç bir aşamasında hiç bir şekilde ücret talep etmediğini, başvuru sahibine herhangi bir finansal yükümlülük yüklemediğini ya da başvuru sahibine ait banka bilgilerini talep etmediğini unutmayınız. GOAL işe alım süreci boyunca hiç bir aracı kurum ya da kuruluş yahut istihdam bürosuyla çalışmamaktadır. Eğer başvuru sırasında ya da işe alım sürecinin herhangi bir aşamasında sizden herhangi bir ücret ya da ödeme talep edilirse lütfen yanıt vermeyiniz.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the “apply now” button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline is 1 October 2021.