Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. MSF actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality. Thousands of health professionals, logistical and administrative staff – most of who are hired locally – works on programmers in some 70 countries worldwide to support it activities.
Medecins Sans Frontieres – Holland, Kenya office is sourcing for a suitable candidate for the following position:
TRANSPORT & CUSTOMS OFFICER –LT03601
1 POSITION – BASED IN NAIROBI
Reporting to the Transport & Customs Supervisor the incumbent shall be responsible for performing the day to day activities and administrative processes for the clearance and transportation of medical and non-medical goods according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure the optimal running of the mission
Key accountabilities include but are not limited to:
· Performing day-to-day activities and administrative processes to ensure an efficient running of the clearance and transportation processes of medical and non-medical following the supply procedures according to MSF standards and protocols.
· Performing Pre Clearance on Imports: Ensuring shipping documents are complete, and all customs clearance requirements such as exemptions and import permits are in place before physical arrival of the shipments depending on the regime – import for export, home use, Transit Godown
· Responsible for reception and forwarding of international freights: Import permits application on KENTRADE through relevant regulating bodies, such as PPB in cases of medical items, CA in cases of communication items, and ERC in cases of energy-related items.
· Responsible for Transit Go Down(TGD) & transit documentation: Ensuring all clearance transit documents are delivered by the clearing and forwarding agents alongside the transit shipments, and locally acquired goods and any other cargo coming from a bonded warehouse. Preparation of transit period extension requests and following up with the clearing and forwarding agents in their lodgment with customs and approval.
· Update and keep track of Freight Tracker and Truck-turn-around reports by filling in accurate cargo and movement information.
· Active liaison with transit sheds and shipping lines concerning the issuance of clearance documents and delivery notes to MSF contracted clearing agents. Facilitating the clearing agents with the relevant documents for the process.
· Regularly assessing the local transport and the freight market (companies, prices, services, delays), and proposing to the line supervisor different third party providers for validation.
· Issuing Service Providers with PO’s and undertaking invoices checks.
· Facilitation and processing of tax exemption documents by providing RPO(Regional Protocol Office) with complete and accurate documents required for an exemption application.
· Provide relevant information to the Transport & Customs supervisor in regards to import and export processes & regulations in Kenya and East African Region.
· Be a self- driver of MSF vehicles if need be after a prior authorization from the Deputy/Logistics coordinator.
Education and Knowledge Required
· Diploma in Clearing and Forwarding
· Bachelor’s degree or Pharmaceutical Technologist Practice License is an added advantage
· Knowledge of KENTRADE,SIMBA TRADEX & ICMS system
· Knowledge in EAC Tariff code guidelines
· Essential computer literacy fluency in Excel, word, outlook express
· Experience in dealing with PGA(partner government authorities)
· At least 2 years’ experience in supply chain/clearance & customs procedures related jobs
Language Essential working knowledge in English & Swahili
Competencies • Results and Quality Orientation
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Behavioral Flexibility
• Commitment.to MSF Principles
• Service Orientation
How to apply
If you are interested and meet the above requirements, please send your CV indicating 3 referees and motivation letter to email@example.com , clearly indicating on the subject line the TRANSPORT & CUSTOMS OFFICER –LT03601
The deadline for this application is 27 April 2022
(MSF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee)