About BRAC and BRAC USA
Based in New York, BRAC USA is the North American affiliate of BRAC. BRAC USA provides comprehensive support to BRAC around the world by raising awareness about its work to empower the poor in 11 countries and mobilizing resources to support programs. BRAC USA works closely with its international counterparts to design and implement cost-effective and evidence-based poverty innovations worldwide. BRAC USA is an independent 501(c)(3) organization.
About the Position
BRAC USA seeks an intern with exceptional writing and communication skills, and a career interest in working with North American government-funded international development programs to support the Business Development (BD) Team for the spring of 2022.
Business development is defined by the process of developing and submitting proposals in response to solicitations released by USAID, Department of State, and other government agencies to secure funding for transformative programs impacting vulnerable populations worldwide. Typical tasks include research on partners, strategies, contexts, and landscapes; designing innovative programs in across a range of sectors; creating communications materials; meeting with partners around the world; and ad hoc activities that give a wide exposure to the world of international development as funded by the North American governments.
Reporting to the Officer on the Business Development team, the BD Team Intern will work as an integral part of a highly effective team to support a diverse portfolio that includes education; agriculture, food security, and livelihoods (AFSL); research and innovation; global health and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH); youth empowerment; and humanitarian/emergency response.
This is a paid, part-time internship. The ideal candidate will be able to work remotely 15-20 hours per week, preferably with availability in the mornings Monday – Thursday. This internship will begin on or about January 18, 2022 and will continue for 15 weeks. Applicants should be available for orientation on January 18, 2022.
- Learn North American government, in particular USAID and Department of State, strategies and processes for business
- Support proposal development for US Government opportunities including, but not limited to, opportunity identification, partnering, writing, formatting, copyediting, and overall strategic design
- Support knowledge management of North American government business development processes, including building Standards of Procedure (SOPs) and managing historical data and reporting
- Conduct research on prospective partners across portfolio
- Prepare meeting briefs, join calls with external partners, capture notes and action items
- Develop standard capacity statements across technical areas
- Assist team members with systems and database management
- Attend industry learning events and share key takeaways with team members
Qualifications and Experience
- Current undergraduate, graduate student or recent graduate in international relations, economic development, education, early childhood development, community development, public policy, non-profit management or other related fields preferred; if a BA student, preference will be given to rising seniors
- Willingness to learn and demonstrated interest in working with USAID and related programming
- Ability to manage tasks in a fast-paced, team-oriented (virtual) environment
- Flexible and able to work remotely, independently, and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues in remote and diverse teams
- Interest or previous work or school experience in Sub-Saharan Africa or South Asia
- Deadline and task-oriented
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Proactive team player with strong desire to learn and ability to be flexible
- A sincere and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion to promote and strengthen a culture of belonging at BRAC USA
How to apply
To apply, please upload a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (e.g., class paper or another example of writing ability) by November 30, 2021 at https://bracusa.org/careers/#op-479847-usg-business-development-intern-brac-usa-.
BRAC USA offers academic credit where permitted.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States for any employer. Due to the high volume of applications, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No calls please.
BRAC USA values a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.