The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Volunteer for Let Women Vote Nigeria 2023 Campaign
Location: Online (Remote)
Description of assignment title: Volunteer for Let Women Vote Nigeria 2023 Campaign
Sustainable Development Goal: 5. Gender equality
Volunteer category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
Hours per Week: 11 – 20
Host entity: African Girls Empowerment Network (AGE Network)
Duration: 12 weeks
Number of assignments: 4
- In Nigeria, the high cost of politics, prevailing vote-buying/selling culture, political violence, and thuggery has made a lot of people, particularly women, lose interest in voting or exercising their civic or political rights.
- Some of those who vote often feel it’s okay to exchange their votes for material gifts or money because they believe their votes do not count, without knowing that their action of not voting during an election or voting because of money received can affect them and their children’s future. “Let Women Vote 2023” Campaign is an initiative that seeks to strengthen women as well as women-led groups to exercise civic & political rights.
- The campaign will educate and sensitize the general public particularly the women on the risks of vote-selling, correct the wrong perception that their votes do not count to enable them to get their voters’ cards, know the ability of the candidates they will vote for, and not sell their votes during the forthcoming general election in 2023.
- As part of the efforts to raising awareness and educating women for political participation and inclusion in the forthcoming general election, AGE Network calls for interested and passionate online volunteers to join our ongoing LET WOMEN VOTE CAMPAIGN 2023.
- Launching social & traditional media awareness and one on one conversation on women’s civic right and political participation in their community, office, church, mosque, and school to educate women to get their voters card, get information and know the ability of candidates they will vote and not to sell their votes during the forthcoming general election.
- We will particularly welcome those in media sector-radio/tv, celebrities, social media influencers and community leaders including church, mosques leaders, market women leaders & schools.
#LetWomenVote Working Group:
- We are calling for women’s human rights activists and civil actors to join our #Letwomen Vote Nigeria 2023 Campaign to educate women to get their voters card, get information and know the ability of candidates they will vote and note to sell their votes during the forthcoming general election.
- The Let women Vote WG will support in launching #Letwomensummit, monitors women political participation during the election, advocate for policies to secure women political participation and inclusive governance and raise funds to support #LetWomenVote Nigeria 2023 Campaign
- Must be willing to engage and educate women in your community about the campaign 2) Good at using social media platforms to promote the campaign 3) Volunteers with experience in advocating for women’s political participation and inclusion will be highly welcomed
- English, Level: Working knowledge, Required
Application Closing Date
12th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics.
- As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Protection Officer P3 at the United Nations World Food Programme
- Media and Communications Intern at Save the Children Nigeria
- Assistant (Programme) at World Health Organization (WHO)
- Procurement Assistant at World Health Organization (WHO)
- Ingénieur en Système d’Eau pour Mali Anka Jiko Projet at Tetra Tech