Overall Purpose of the role
The WASH Assistant will be responsible for the implementation of DRC WASH infrastructure program in Galkayo.
The WASH Assistant primary function is to assist the WASH Officer to ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of WASH activities being implemented by DRC. Specifically, the WASH Assistant is expected to conduct the day to day implementation of water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities especially in the areas of intervention in Galkayo.
- To carry out Need and technical assessment for all type of WASH infrastructures
- Preparation and Submission of order requests as per DRC policies and procedures
- To conduct trainings regarding operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities for beneficiaries and water management committees
- Organize and implement hygiene promotion training as required
- Liaise and secure consent from the local authorities and beneficiary prior to intervention
- Regular monitoring of ongoing construction activities to ensure that all the activities are executing as per design, specifications and work schedule
- Preparation of weekly monthly work plans and progress reports
- Preparation of feasibility reports and completion certificates
- Verify the work done at site and recommend for the payments to contractor(s)/casual labors etc
- Preparation of all the payment documents, after verification, submission it to procurement department
- Working in harmony with all other project staff and field team for the effective and efficient day-to-day management of the WASH project in Baidoa
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Coordinate with other stakeholder on the ground for smooth, efficient and effective implementation of the activities
- Ensuring integration of WASH, Protection, livelihood and shelter activities through close coordination
- Other relevant duties as directed by Programme Coordinator.
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum At least 1-year programming experience with relevant working experience (Specifically in WASH) in INGO agency or Non-Governmental Organization.
- University diploma in Public health, Diploma in Public Health, Environmental Health Science or equivalent professional qualification.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Good knowledge of sphere and HAP standards
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor
- Very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, program and stakeholders in Somalia
- Thorough knowledge of SPHERE Shelter and WASH in emergencies standards.
- Experience working in volatile areas
- Experience in community-based interventions
- Experience in Microsoft Office and internet
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: June 2022
Duty station: Galkayo
Reporting to: CCM Team Leader
Duration: 10 Month with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band I-Non Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework. All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Job City Galkayo