Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
Project design, implementation and reporting
- Management of the WASH project specific budget at the program area level.
- Responsible for project design, overseeing implementation and monitoring while ensuring quality program delivery of the overall WASH country program activities.
- Regional advocacy and networking, strategic thematic area planning, developing and strengthening partnerships and mainstreaming of child centered community development.
- Nurturing, developing and facilitating the achievement of results.
- Implement the specific project and programme thematic initiatives pertaining to North Shao program area in line with different components within the country strategy as well as in support of overall country programme goals and objectives.
- Provide any requested technical support, assistance and follow up to the program area WASH initiatives in tandem with other field based staffs and program managers to ensure the quality of program delivery in an efficient way and manner which will collectively address the real needs of Children, Adolescents and Women in need.
- Prepare quarterly project and program updates and reports (both financial and narrative reports) in consultation with concerned bodies to be incorporated into the general project as well as country Program quarterly reports.
- Develop proactive and constructive collaboration with different departments within PIE for a consorted and team driven effort towards fulfilling the vision, missions and impact areas of the organization.
- Develop partnerships with individuals, groups and organizations and networks whose support are essential to the achievement of PIE’s organizational objectives, and strengthen their capacity through appropriate training and experience sharing initiatives.
Policy engagement and networking
- THE Post holder serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that has relevance to the project implementation when he delegated by his line manager, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions and the media, in the area of water, sanitation and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of district government information, strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
Partnership development and strengthening
- Periodically collect project related and relevant information about other organizations working within the target districts to gain institutional knowledge of the environment.
- Seeks opportunities for different kinds of partnership for enhanced quality project implementation.
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of WASHCOs, clubs and local partners in project management.
- for smooth project implementation of the project Facilitates communication and interaction between partners/collaborators
Relationship Management / Communications
- Assist and support communication department in developing communication materials through adopting and contextualizing it and disseminate to identified target audiences, support the department in translating materials into local languages as necessary.
- Collaborate and participate in effective knowledge and information management systems where the necessary Country Program Information is well documented and shared internally and externally as necessary.
- Promote a collaborative, team environment amongst project/program team.
- Inform line manager and donor of any issues or proposed resource changes (financial or human) that may require technical assistance or donor approval in a timely fashion.
- Oversee outreach activities at program areas to support and raise awareness about the purpose of the project and any related opportunities.
- Shall perform any other duties as assigned by his line manager, the WaSH Project Manager at country office.
Child Protection and Gender Equality Responsibilities
- Demonstrate commitment to Plan’s child protection policy through implementing the policy in its entirety, and report any actual or potential risk situations following the reporting procedures, being aware of abuse and risks to children, being vigilant, becoming familiar with the Child Protection Policy.
- Raise children’s rights/protection awareness and important of gender equality and respect to diversity within Plan and amongst partners and community members.
- Child protection and gender equality policies are understood by the staff and partners.
- Ensure equal participation and benefit of boys and girls and children with disabilities in all phases of project implementation.
- Ensure sufficient budget and resources are allocated for gender equality activity in their respective area annual plans and project activities. Support partners in understanding plans’ gender equality strategy and program criteria and capacity building activities on gender as part of the regular work at field level. Ensure the representation of Plan Ethiopia in their respective project from gender equality perspectives.
- Plan Ethiopia has put in place a CP policy that all of its staff must adhere to and sign.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Prepare and provide all the necessary technical and information inputs prepare quarterly, mid-term and yearly reports and end of project report deliverables, as per standard templates and direction provided, including all narrative and financial content and associated annexes.
- Prepare and submit monthly narrative reports, including updates on project progress and outstanding issues to line manager and communication department as necessary.
- Identify and communicate any issues related to project delay to the line manager, other concerned bodies and include relevant mitigation/contingency plans.
- Assist and ensure that results of any internal Plan-led or external donor-led audits are addressed.
- Provide technical support for government partners and program unit staff on effective M and E applications.
- Identify, document and disseminate best practices, success stories and story of changes from within and outside Plan to staff and other development partners.
- Ensure project learning and achievements are documented and disseminated widely.
- Ensure all project documentation is filed and organised for accountability purposes.
Dealing with Problems:
- The post holder will coordinate field-based staffs ensure the highest level of program quality and overall impact. This will encompass strengthening accountability, planning, management, adherence to policies and procedures, and promoting a culture for delivery of results.
- The position involves a high degree of complexity in resolving a wide range of challenges which typically occur in project management. The post holder will demonstrate the ability to solve problems, thinking strategically while implementing projects, introducing innovations as needed to meet the demands of a dynamic operating environment while ensuring Plan systems and policies are adhered to.
- Understands organisational strategies and contributes to its fulfilment by supporting his/her team to play their roles and implement programs in accordance with organisational values, goals and requirements.
- Working at community and district level to give support to partners and sector staffs, influences PA colleagues to adhere to required implementation standards in an integrated manner to support the sustainability and effectiveness of the PlE programs.
- The post holder will coordinate with other project staffs, including WASH and Health and Nutrition coordinators to ensure the highest level of program quality and overall impact. This will encompass strengthening accountability, planning, management, adherence to policies and procedures, and promoting a culture for delivery of results.
To maximize overall Project impact through the optimized contributions of others, the post holder will be required to initiate, develop and maintain a range of working relationships, including with government counterparts, implementing partners, community organizations and other development organizations within the region/project area.
Internally s/he has to have an effective working relationship within the programmes department, PA staffs and Project team is essential. The job holder will have frequent communication with his line manager, the program area staffs, and support staff at Plan International Ethiopia, colleagues at Plan National Offices and various internal staff networks.
Any other assignments as requested by the line manager and WaSH Project Manager.
Type of Role: WASH
Reports to: ERM
Closing Date: June23,2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Please note that Plan International will never send unsolicited emails requesting payment from candidates.
- Job City Afar