Please note that this position is contingent upon funding.
Reports To: Private Sector Engagement and Financing Lead
Country/Location: Kenya/Western Kenya Region
Length of Contract: 4 years and 6 months
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, WASH, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding. Western Water Program:
Western Water program seek to strengthen the water sector in Western Kenya by addressing underlying co
nstraints in the system through data and technology, process innovation, coordination between sector stakeholders, and behaviour change. The project goal is to ensure efficiency of water service delivery, better use of water resources, strengthened sector governance, and increased investment by the private sector. The project targets the rural and urban water services, a
water resources management in 8 counties: Kisumu, Kakamega, Busia, Bungoma, Kisii, Migori, Homabay and Siaya. **On the Western Water program, CRS is part of a consortium led by Kenya Markets Trust.
You will be responsible for Identification, design, implementation and ensuring accelerated water sector financing interventions of the Western Water program. The Finance specialist shall ensure improved financial performance as well as ability to attract financing through engaging utilities, county government and the regulator on various financing approaches.<
Roles and Key Responsibilities: **
- Analyzing financing landscape of Water services in the target counties focusing on financing and creditworthiness assessment of water utilities
- Train utilities on various financing approaches for WASH services and build collaborative relationships between the Utilities, priva
ector, and financial services providers
- Support business planning, training and investment mobilization for target water utilities and small-scale water service providers
- Support water services providers to prepare bankable investment plans
- Participate in WASH networks, meetings, and select technical working groups as appropriate to represent the project to ensure collaboration and partnerships
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Very good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and r
Required Languages– English Fluency, Knowledge of a main national language preferred.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Private Sector Engagement and Financing Lead, Chief of Party, Deputy chief of party Donor, Western water program consortium members, Country Representative, Head of Programming, Programming staff, Finance Manager, Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality, Regional Technical Advisors, HQ based Public Donor Liaison.
External: Government agencies, partner INGOs and local NGOs, peer agencies, community representatives, private sector actors, including financial institutions.
- Graduate/Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., finance, business administrat
nomics, public policy etc.) required
- Relevant professional qualifications an added advantage
- Minimum 3 years finance experience in WASH sector
- Demonstrated experience in presenting business cases
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems
- Knowledge/experience in working with finance and business development agencies to improve WASH services.
- Knowledge/experience in market-based approaches to develop WASH services.
- Knowledge/experience in behavior change strategy development.
- Experience working in the Kenyan context.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member t
his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer:
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
CRS’ emphasis on family values supports benefits, including maternity and paternity leave, policies that promote exclusive breastfeeding, the availability of a baby room at the office, and flexible working hours where possible.
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secul
ar traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS Kenya strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As
an equal oppor
tunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
*By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to
treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.*
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values
and our commitme
nt to serving those in need.**