Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners, people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS has worked in Kenya since 1965. Over the years, CRS’ focus shifted from direct relief and food distributions to a comprehensive development program that works with partners and enhances local capacity. CRS Kenya programs now support children affected by HIV, and community-based efforts to increase household incomes, improve family healt h and sanitation, and enhance agriculture livelihoods
CRS, representing a consortium of international non-governmental organizations, local implementing partners and research institutions is leading the USAID Nawiri Project in Isiolo and Marsabit, a USAID Bureau for Humanitari an Assistance (BHA) funded 5-year Resilience Food Security Activity (RFSA) in Kenya. The overarching goal of this multi-sectoral activity is to sustainably reduce persistent levels of acute malnutrition in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs). The activity will be implemented in two phases:
- Phase I (1.5-2 years) Research, test approaches and collaboratively design a context-sensitive, multi-sectoral activity that sustainably reduces acute malnutrition.
- Phase II (3- 3.5 years): Multi-sectoral Activity implementation and adaptation and Local System and Institutional Strengthening.
provide overall leadership in the management of WASH activities in Nawiri Program in Marsabit and Isiolo counties. She/he will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of Nawiri WASH activities. Additionally, she/he will manage WASH partnerships wi th implementing partners, private sector partners, and Government line ministries to build synergies and promote coordination in WASH programming. The WASH Manager’s management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality WASH programming.
- Manage key aspects of the development, and implementation of Nawiri WASH activities. Ensure efficient and effective implementation in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices. Ensure WASH program team and partner staff use the appropriate systems and tools.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise the WASH team. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, contribute to the recruitment process of project staff, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Help identify, assess and strengthen partnerships relevant to the WASH sector, applying appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches. Maintain relationships with key staff of consortium partner organizations in regard to WASH activities. Contribute to coordination of the roles and activities of staff from other consortium member organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning within WASH sector. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies.
- Coordinate the identification of WASH related staff capacity and technical assistance needs of partner organizations and capacity strengthening and required interventions to support quality project implementation.
- Promote MEAL and knowledge management by leading WASH activities reviews and reflections with staff and partner representatives and documentation of good practices and lessons learned for assessments, to adjust strategies and implementation plans, to inform future programming initiatives and approaches, and to contribute to organizational learning.
- Participate in WASH networks, meetings, and select technical working groups as appropriate to represent the project to ensure collaboration and project visibility.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Nawiri WASH officers.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Chief of Party, Deputy chief of party, Nawiri technical leads, Nawiri consortium partner activity leads, Implementing partner WASH team.
External: Government agencies, partner INGOs and local NGOs, peer agencies, community representatives, private sector actors.
Required Travel (where and expected %):
25% field travel.
Nairobi and field locations (Isiolo and Marsabit).
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of a master’s degree in a relevant discipline; Public health, Environmental science, or Engineering.
At least 7 years work experience in WASH programming preferably in Northern Kenya.
- Demonstrated experience of successful management, including management of functions of complex, multi-activity projects. Experience in management positions in USAID funded WASH projects is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated technical skill in WASH systems preferably in strengthening local institution, WASH governance, financing and water services/resource management
- Track record of managing many relationships internally and externally with partners, Government departments and community institutions.
- Highly adaptive and ability to incorporate research findings and or learning into project interventions.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Good knowledge of gender responsive and/or transformative WASH system strengthening and governance principles, methods, and monitoring tools.
- Knowledge/experience in market-based approaches to develop WASH services.
- Knowledge/experience in behavior change strategy development.
- Experience working in ASAL context.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Very good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and probl em-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results. **
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.** CR S Kenya strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As an equal opportunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics. **
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
How to apply