Overall Purpose of the role
WASH Officer will directly be involved and ensure in the day to day implementation of water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities especially in the areas of intervention. He will also be responsible for WASH components including planning, facilitation of WASH implementation activities through directly involving with the partner agencies/authorities and development of IEC materials and hygiene/sanitation and awareness issues to the IDP and poor host communities to the target areas in accordance with the culture and practices of the local population in Somalia.
- Lead the assessment needs regarding WASH in the IDP and host communities in Galkayo and any other areas as per the direction of team leader.
- Mobilize local authorities and the target communities and stakeholders of the key project objectives and goals and ensure MOUs are signed on time.
- Assist in the identification and selection of beneficiaries with the help of local authority and community elders and Ensuring correct MOUs are in place with relevant district/service providers/stakeholders
- Prepare Work plan and IEC materials in consultation with WASH/Shelter and Settlements Team leader and effectively manage the WASH projects using appropriate tools to ensure projects are delivered on-time, on-budget and to the expected quality. Work with the direction of the WASH team leader.
- Ensure that the marginalized/ vulnerable communities, including women, participate in each of the project cycle related to WASH activities
- Facilitate all trainings on WASH by using a participatory approach with high practical involvement and also Support emergency preparedness and response activities as a focal point for the program.
- Contribute to the development of training and orientation materials. Document results and lessons learned from WASH program implementation including emergency preparedness and response, to promote knowledge sharing with counterparts and WASH stakeholders
- Liaise with relevant other actors/NGOs, local administrators and IDP leadership for collaborative efforts, amongst others participate to the cluster coordination meetings on WASH and within DRC other sectors like food security and livelihood, protection for proper coordinator of activities
- Ensuring that all relevant stakeholders have information about the organization’s background, program, objectives, working areas, duration of programs and activities in the field.
- Ensure proper filling and documentation of the WASH project including carrying our GPS coordinates and mapping of the project activities/areas.
- Conducting HP Trainings/campaigns and Day to day supervision on CHP and ensure data collected from the beneficiaries as required.
- Contributing to contingency planning for possible WASH emergency response if required.
- Ensure proper presentation of the office and professional ethics in controlling movements and ensure security of all the documents.
- Track and prepare weekly, monthly, field quarterly, all RIFs, PRs for the program and annual progress reports of activities related to WASH programs including documentation beneficiaries and successes stories. Feed budget expenditure information and plan/budget tracking to the WASH team leader.
- In the absence of the Team Leader WASH, support the WASH project with the close coordination of Program manager and the respective Area Manager
- Perform any other relevant duties as requested by line Managers and WASH team leader.
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 3 years of experience within the field of WASH and others
- University degree in Public health, Diploma in Public Health, Environmental Health Science or equivalent professional qualification.
- Strong understanding of basic training in WASH programming, participatory training methods, community mobilizations and networking
- Effective and timely implementation of all interventions outlined under output and any other related and cross cutting program activities related to WASH
- Working experience and knowledge of the local duty station
- Able to adapt to changing situations as required
- Able to work well under pressure and in adverse condition
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: June 2022
Duty station: Galkayo
Reporting to: CCM Team Leader
Duration: 10 Month with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band H-Non Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework. All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Job City Galkayo