Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Dimensions of the Role
The post holder will report to the WATSAN Coordinator at the Program Area Level, APA. S/he is responsible for preparing effective activity and budget planning, M&E framing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project in collaboration with relevant district government offices and target communities at their respective districts and villages. She/he ensures integration as well as smooth teamwork within Plan and across government WASH sectors in the districts. Key components of the position include also establishing a system wherein all stakeholders take up their roles and responsibilities, strengthening networking, developing and strengthening partnerships and mainstreaming of child centered community development standards in the target districts. Through capacity development and advocacy, and by promoting change in behavior and norms regarding WASH and gender equalit.
Project design, implementation and reporting
- Responsible for quality standard of all construction/rehabilitation works.
- Monitor construction/rehabilitation quality in line with the standard.
- Responsible for hygiene and sanitation promotion works.
- Coach project and government staff how to undertake ongoing technical support.
- Conduct field feasibility study to new project sites.
- Follow up proper management of construction sites and take measurement, quality control, give instruction with the consultation of the WASH coordinator and other hierarchies.
- Establish and facilitate training to beneficiary at community, Education and health facilities/ institutions.
- Ensure the technical soundness, appropriateness and general quality in water supply and sanitation and Infrastructure project design, planning, implementation of projects and construction Supervision and Contract Administration.
- Work for effective and efficient thematic area coordination in consultation with the project Health and Nutrition officer and Coordinator and other project staffs.
- Close monitoring and follow up for smooth and on time project implementation.
- Participate for Preparing and developing in consultation with appropriate stakeholder’s annual and multi-year project plan.
- Record and share good practices and case stories achievements of the project.
- Participate and contribute for quality and timely reporting and documenting of project activities including preparation of quarterly/yearly project progress reports.
- Manage and organize trainings, workshops and meetings that concerns the project at all district levels.
- Field supervision and quality control of construction of borehole, Rural and Urban piped water supply project, rehabilitation and expansion of civil works, construction of VIP Latrine.
- The post holder is expected to develop standard design for all infrastructure supported by Plan based on the humanitarian and government standard.
- Participate in bid process, Prepares Bid documents, and construction agreements and coordinates contract awards.
- Prepare take of sheet, cost and material estimation for payment and planning
Related to Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Monitor project implementation processes, coordinate evaluations, share learning’s and document best practices.
- Prepare and submit a quality periodic narrative and financial reports in a timely manner according to Plan International and donor requirements.
- Provide technical support for partner and program area staff on effective M and E applications.
- Identify, document and disseminate best practices, success stories and story of changes from within and outside Plan International staff and other development partners.
- Ensure project learning and achievements are documented and disseminated widely.
- Ensure all project documentation is filed and organized for accountability purposes.
Related to coordination, partnership and networking
- In addition to the WASH coordinator, he/she can be Serve as a principal representative to WASH thematic networks and clusters in the project areas that has relevance to the project implementation, to create collaborative and positive partnerships and alliances, and to influence policy that maximizes the impact of the project.
- Establish links and good relationships with relevant district government authorities, UN organizations, NGOs, academic and research institutions and the media, in the area of water, sanitation and hygiene to draw information and knowledge for project efficiency and effectiveness.
- Makes follow up and proper documentation and share of district government information, strategies with respect to water sanitation and hygiene.
- Facilitates communication and interaction between partners/collaborators and Program Area finance team.
Related to capacity building support
- Provide technical assistance and build the capacities of local partners in project management.
- Provide guidance to colleagues and partner staffs on smooth partnership management for enhanced project implementation.
- Ensure that appropriate partner assessment is done on time and communicated to relevant staff.
- Manage and monitor partnerships with implementing organizations, including their efficient utilization and timely accountability of funds allocated.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- At least Bachelor’s Degree in Water resource Engineering, Sanitary Engineering, Environmental Engineering and related disciplines with at least 4 years relevant experience in water supply and sanitation development, construction supervision and Contract Administration out of which a minimum of 2 years of NGO experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the management (feasibility study, design, construction supervision, contract administration etc.) of water supply and sanitation projects and infrastructures.
- Experience in contract document preparation, negotiation management, and development of bid documents, Bill of quantities and specification, as well as supervision and administration of projects.
- Experience in study, design, supervision and contract administration water supply, building construction works.
- Experience and Knowledge of using Water CAD, AutoCAD and GPs and GIS software packages
- Knowledge of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
- Knowledge and experience in supervising infrastructures.
- In-depth knowledge of project cycle management and child centered community development programming.
- Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development.
- Knowledge of effective participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and lesson learning systems and the process of project cycle management.
- Experience in implementation of integrated WASH, Health and Nutrition projects.
Skills Specific to the Post
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation.
- Strong negotiation, influencing and problem-solving skills.
- Numeracy and the ability to interpret financial data, in order to understand budgetary processes including planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate options including planning skills.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
Location: Amhara Program Area, Sekota
Type of Role: Wash
Reports to: Wash Coordinator
Closing Date: May 23, 2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
- Job City Amhara, Sekota