The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Sector Co-Lead
Job Identification: 10819
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Schedule Full time
Job Category: Coordination
- The WASH Sector Co-Coordinator will work in partnership with UNICEF, which is the Sector Coordinator Agency, to provide leadership and facilitate processes that ensure a well-coordinated, strategic, adequate, coherent, and effective humanitarian WASH preparedness and response within the BAY (Borno, Adamawa and Yobe) states. The cluster approach has been activated since 2016.
- The WASH Sector Co-Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring that the WASH Sector incorporates NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) perspectives, including those of local partners.
- S/he will also ensure that NGO members contribute to, share WASH Sector responsibilities, and take the lead in developing the active engagement and technical capacity of WASH sector members.
The four expected results are:
- NGOs’ concerns and priorities are adequately communicated to the WASH sector secretariat
- WASH stakeholders are encouraged to participate in WASH sector activities
- The effectiveness of WASH inter-sector coordination is reinforced
- Coordination between the WASH sector and NGOs and the government is strengthened at the local government area (LGA) and state levels
- As the NGO Co-Lead Agency, NRC will appoint a full-time Sector Co-Coordinator, who will report to NRC for all contractual arrangements and will be accountable to the Sector’s NGO partners, both international and national.
- All NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council) employees are expected to work per the organization’s core values of dedication, innovation, inclusivity, and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and Responsibilities
- Facilitate and co-coordinate meetings of the national WASH sector with the UNICEF sector coordinator, ensuring that key and necessary information is shared promptly and accurately
- Ensure effective coordination of the WASH sector response in Nigeria
- Ensure information exchange with WASH sector partners and other relevant stakeholders related to WASH issues, situation analysis, gaps, planning, funding processes, etc.
- Represent the WASH sector and the interests of its partners to government, donors, inter-cluster, stakeholders, and other forums
- Provide practical support and guidance to sector partners on needs assessments, coordination, project development, implementation, and utilization of funding opportunities
- Provide capacity-building to sector partners and relevant counterparts such as other sector partners, the UN (United Nations) Mission, or government actors
- Build the capacity of partners, design technical tools, provide guidance, and facilitate training and workshops
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree
- Proficient in managing complex and unstable environments
- Proven track record of delivering outcomes aligned with job duties
- Holds an advanced WASH degree and has at least four years of experience in humanitarian aid
- Technical expertise in sector coordination, policies, and governing frameworks
- Capable of fostering positive relationships with all relevant stakeholders
- Able to collaborate with diverse stakeholders to reach a consensus
- Knowledgeable in international humanitarian response and coordination mechanisms, and humanitarian reform
- Advocates for a cause while considering the interests of NGOs (international and national), guided by the principles of impartiality, neutrality, and advocacy
- Experienced in working with UN agencies on WASH concerns
- Demonstrates personal and professional integrity in all interactions
What we offer
- 24-month contract duration with possibility of extension.
- Grade 8 in NRC’s Salary Scale. NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- NRC is an equal opportunities employer. In the selection of our staff, we are committed to diversity without distinction to age, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, and physical ability.
- We think outside the box, encourage ideas, and give responsibility to all employees at all levels.
- Opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
Application Closing Date
26th May, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility. At NRC, we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face.
- You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- Kindly send any questions that you may have in relation to the application process to: email@example.com Applications sent via email will not be accepted. Please check your application status on your NRC application profile
- Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
- NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- VAS PROJECT ASSOCIATES at Helen Keller International
- MEAL Officer at International Rescue Committee
- Health Officer at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Consultant – Situation Analysis on Alternative Pathways and Distance Learning in Nigeria at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Financial Accounting Manager at Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI)